Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do u guys mix sugar water w/o heating it up?
Bought bulk sugar from a guy and I asked him if he heats up his water before adding the sugar and he said no! Just add sugar to tap water and mix it with the mixer on the drill.

Tried it! I seem to not get all the sugar mixed up! There is some still on the bottom.

I am mixing 1 to 1.

I am doing 3 gal to 25 lbs of sugar.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
What else works is after a honey harvest I clean the extractor and all other processing stuff with hot water. I let the honey water then drain into buckets and the bees go crazy over it. The poor ants can't get their in time to get any lol.

I was going to open feed some sugar water but I see nectar in some areas on the frames plus someone has hives on some melon fields about a mile away and I don't want to detract from their pollination efforts by attracting all of their bees to my place.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
COLD tap water, or HOT tap water?

I mix mine with hot tap water, 24 hours in advance. Sometimes there is a bit left in the bottom, but it is dissolved by the next day.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You can use cold water if mixing 1:1,just takes a little longer to dissolve,2:1 however the water needs to be hot,or it will rarely dissolve completely

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bring the water almost to a boil, then I add lecythin to emulsify the 15 drops of lemongrass and spearmint oil. If you don't make sure the lecythin is dissolved (the water has to be very very hot to do this), it won't allow the oils to mix with the water. I have to close the doors or the bees will find a way in around the screen door as they try to get it. Basically it's Honey B Healthy without the price tag. PS: I also now add a tspn of lemon juice to bring down the ph to a more acidic level that the bees prefer. Just syrup is too alkaline, so they say. So far, they love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts