mixing sugar water with cold tap water

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by adamant, Jul 18, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

Do u guys mix sugar water w/o heating it up?
    Bought bulk sugar from a guy and I asked him if he heats up his water before adding the sugar and he said no! Just add sugar to tap water and mix it with the mixer on the drill.

Tried it! I seem to not get all the sugar mixed up! There is some still on the bottom.

I am mixing 1 to 1.

I am doing 3 gal to 25 lbs of sugar.

2. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I mix it straight from the tap. stir it a few times it will mix all the sugar eventually.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

What else works is after a honey harvest I clean the extractor and all other processing stuff with hot water. I let the honey water then drain into buckets and the bees go crazy over it. The poor ants can't get their in time to get any lol.

I was going to open feed some sugar water but I see nectar in some areas on the frames plus someone has hives on some melon fields about a mile away and I don't want to detract from their pollination efforts by attracting all of their bees to my place.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

COLD tap water, or HOT tap water?

I mix mine with hot tap water, 24 hours in advance. Sometimes there is a bit left in the bottom, but it is dissolved by the next day.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hot water to ease dissolving and then letting it cool a bit before feeding (when I do).

6. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I used hot tap water and let it set for a couple of hours to cool

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I use hot tap water and let it cool also.

8. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

You can use cold water if mixing 1:1,just takes a little longer to dissolve,2:1 however the water needs to be hot,or it will rarely dissolve completely

9. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

I bring the water almost to a boil, then I add lecythin to emulsify the 15 drops of lemongrass and spearmint oil. If you don't make sure the lecythin is dissolved (the water has to be very very hot to do this), it won't allow the oils to mix with the water. I have to close the doors or the bees will find a way in around the screen door as they try to get it. Basically it's Honey B Healthy without the price tag. PS: I also now add a tspn of lemon juice to bring down the ph to a more acidic level that the bees prefer. Just syrup is too alkaline, so they say. So far, they love it.