Mobile App for beekeepers - Varroa Detection

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Bartek_ziBees, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Bartek_ziBees

Bartek_ziBees New Member

Hi,

I want to introduce you to ziBees. A free application for a phone that uses artificial intelligence to improve the process of managing an apiary.

We analyse the pictures of the bee frame and detect the number of bees on the picture and the number of bees that have varroasis. In the future, we want to detect other important for beekeepers elements.

We want to know your opinion about the application. Your involvement can contribute to the introduction of new functionalities in the future.In April we are starting with closed beta tests. We want to test the application and collect photos of bee frames, to constantly improve the algorithm.

You can sign up for beta tests through our website www.zibees.co or directly via the link: http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/zibees/

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

so how do you do a mite count from a picture? honestly sounds like more useless process for someone to make money on...if im opening up a hive and going to waste time taking pictures of every frame both sides, I can see the mites myself or treat and count the dead mites on drop, how can you tell if mites are hidden in the comb?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018

3. Bartek_ziBees

Bartek_ziBees New Member

Hi,

thanks for the feedback!

We are aware that from picture analysis we can't count all mites. We have plans to perform research in a cooperation with one of the Universities in Poland. We want to compare how many mites we can find by using an app and then compare it to other diagnostic methods. We want to create an algorithm which will show more accurately how many mites are on the frame.

Our goal in making this feature is to give a beekeeper quick access to more accurate data about varroa mites than he can find just by looking at a frame and not hurting bees.

4. roadkillbobb

are you a bee keeper yourself? sounds like you dont have any idea on what goes on when a hive is taken apart for inspection or mite counts...taking pictures of frames and then uploading or sending someplace is just too time consuming, you may get a hobbyist to spend that time but I doubt a keeper with dozens or hundreds of hives will spend the time doing that..

5. Bartek_ziBees

Bartek_ziBees New Member

Once again thanks for Your comments.

We are talking with beekeepers (mainly hobbyist as You have mentioned) and they think that this feature could be useful.

What for You would be more useful than mites detection?

6. roadkillbobb

its easier and cheaper for me to just treat with OA vapor for mite control...other than that if your not gona build a robot that can open hives and check each frame as a human can and see whats going on, make sugar syrup , put in proper amount of fondant and make decisions on the fly, not much...just because you can make a program in technology todo something doesnt make it useful in real life...

Gypsi likes this.
  7. Bartek_ziBees

Bartek_ziBees New Member

Roadkillbobb - we are not planning to build a robot. So what would be useful for You and for others?

8. roadkillbobb

nothing for me, I dont see any benefit from my perspective .. I cannot answer for others though...

9. Bartek_ziBees

Bartek_ziBees New Member

Roadkillbobb - Thanks for Your comments.

roadkillbobb likes this.