Moisture board???Has anyone used these?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Sep 11, 2012.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I bought a moisture board to help with condensation over the winter from Mann Lake. Has anyone used one of these? In the catalogue they show it over the inner cover, but where is the ventilation notch. I called them and one guy told me to just take out the inner cover and put on the moisture board with some popsicle sticks between moisture board and super...so I am getting two different versions from the same company. Then I saw this video on youtube from www.honeybeesonline.com (they are in Illinois) where he is covering a two deep, two super hive(just like me!)..he puts a spacer(upper vent) at the top with a candyboard(contains Honey Bee Healthy) and wraps his hive:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cog7eRBP9A

But why is he putting a candyboard when there are two supers? Would that hurt the honey? This seems like a very easy way to do things. However they do just sell the upper vent(with hive wrap) for cheaper. so would I put the upper vent over the inner cover and then the moisture board on top? and then the outer cover? Thanks for any and all answers:)

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    But why is he putting a candyboard when there are two supers? Would that hurt the honey?

tecumseh:
    I would suspect the candy board is added to provide emergency feed if the hive goes thru the honey below. A candy board might also somewhat wick up a bit of extra moisture. Evidently they think that the quantity of honey + candy board is necessary to get the hive to some date in the spring.

I will check the link after this post..

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the link seem to show what I would call a standard candy board. I am not certain what qualities it has to help with any moisture beside the top entry slot.... which you might or might not incorporate into any standard candy board.

4. Omie

Omie Active Member

Please forgive my ignorance here....but what exactly is a 'moisture board'?

Is it just something like the foam board insulated all-weather inner covers like the Honey-Run apiary all-season ventilated covers i buy? Or is it something else?

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

omie,
    a moisture board, i think one of the trade names for this is 'insulite' or 'homosote', it is a moisture absorbing material, about 1/2" thick to absorb moisture and provide as some say, a dead air space. it is placed on top of the inner cover. it is not like tim arheits all weather design that you use, he uses 2" of polystyrene foam insulation, this does not absorb moisture. the moisture board looks similiar to, best way i can describe it, like cork material. many keeps in minnesota and wisconsin use this stuff, and the university of minnesota teaches keeps to use it, but i do not.

it does absorb moisture, however this material, in my experience, will drip moisture back down on the bees.

hlhart said:
    "I bought a moisture board to help with condensation over the winter from Mann Lake. Has anyone used one of these? In the catalogue they show it over the inner cover, but where is the ventilation notch. I called them and one guy told me to just take out the inner cover and put on the moisture board with some popsicle sticks between moisture board and super...so I am getting two different versions from the same company"

hl hart, i have experience with these, and i do not use them. they go on top of or over the inner cover. if you use them, you need to cut a bigger notch out in your inner cover, about 3" or so, or stick popsicle sticks under the inner cover to prop it up for ventilation. bees can withstand cold temps but they cannot withstand being cold and wet.....one of the keys to winter survival for them is ventilation of your hive.

i use something similiar to what omie uses, and what honey run apiaries sells, except that i make my own, and a simpler way to achieve this is just to add 2" of polystyrene insulation on top your inner cover and put the outer cover over it....BUT....you must provide ventilation for your hive, at the top and the bottom.

hope i made sense, and did not confuse you.... if you use the moisture board, ensure there is ventilation to release the moisture that is collected in the moisture board, if you don't, the moisture collected in the board will drip back down on your bees.....
    :grin:

6. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Omie, you have solved my dilemma..I just ordered the foam board insulated all weather inner cover. Thanks for mentioning this!

7. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Thanks, for letting me know that the moisture board can cause problems..I really don't want to put popsicle sticks under it or the inner cover...so I just ponied up and bought the one from Honey Run...looks like it will work in all kinds of weather(which we have...extreme heat and cold).

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hlhart:
    "Thanks, for letting me know that the moisture board can cause problems..I really don't want to put popsicle sticks under it or the inner cover...so I just ponied up and bought the one from Honey Run...looks like it will work in all kinds of weather(which we have...extreme heat and cold)."

hl, i had to laugh when you said 'ponied up' :lol: anyway, you are welcome about the moisture boards.....i don't know where you are in eastern washington state, but i am familiar with your weather there, i hail from nw montana, and my family resides there. i have a friend who is a commercial keep in spokane with hives scattered all over from the north and southern end of eastern washington. you will like honey run's all weahter inner cover, and it does work. it is a good choice for you. i make these myself, similiar to tim's design, and they work very well for me. well wishes to you and your bees, send the moisture board back to mann lake if you can....btw, mann lake is a good company. :grin:

9. Omie

Omie Active Member

Most of the ceilings in our 1940 house are old time homosote panels. Has a nice old fashioned feel to it.
    I do like the Honey Run all-season covers, have them on all 5 of my hives.