Mold in the honey???

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bwwertz, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Okay, beeks. Need some help for sure here. Went out and worked one of my hives from top to bottom today. Did some spring cleaning for the bees. I have been feeding them sugar in a top feeder. Just sugar - no water, not fondant. We had some problems in the late fall with wax moths getting into our stored hives in the house. Yes, I know it was a bad idea on my part. I thought I had them airtight, etc. My Dad and I cleaned all remnants of wax moths off the frames, froze the honey for approximately 1 week, and then thawed it, then placed it back on our hives for them to feed off of for the winter and clean up.
    Today is the first time I've been out there since - about 70F plus in the sun with an occasional breeze. No drones, no eggs, did not see the queen. Top deep was nearly empty, all cells cleaned and some capped honey where you'd expect it. Bottom deep was mostly capped honey, but some that was uncapped looked as though it had some type of mold in it. No mites. What do you think?
    I need to get this hive geared up since the warmer weather is arriving. Just took the entrance reducers off - for now I've taken the top feeder & sugar off the top. Thinking of feeding them sugar syrup now to kick things into high gear. Looking for lots of opinions/words of wisdom/thoughts/advice.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Looks like you had some moisture issues in the hive. My guess would be it was probably condensation from the freezer after thawing. Then before it got cold the mold set in while in the hive. The bees are will clean up the hive and carry on as if it wasnt there.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would say rat is right, after bringing it out of the freezer it probably sweated a little. No need to worry the bees will clean it up.

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Am I seeing this right ? :?: Some of the frames seem to have drone cells on top, then transitional cells and then worker cells lower down.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It's hard to tell Barbarian, it may just be the camera angle. :confused:

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I think what your seeing is a frame they drawed for storage and the queen got up into the frame and laid a patch of drone brood

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the bottom board looks fairly normal for this time of year. obvious remains of uncapping the honey + it looks like the bottom board is taking on some water. I would also guess the bottom board is tilting slight backward (away from the front entry). mold (imho) is a product of excess water + lack of good ventilation. 'the girls' know how to deal with spoiled honey and mold.

I would clean off the bottom board and reduce the existing hive to the space the worker bees can cover. depending of population I might keep the entrance reducer on... but likely with a slight larger gap. unless the hive has good population removing the entrance reducer at this time poses certain risk.... robbing and chilled brood. <a mild winter here often times includes a late hard freeze.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Did you mean no eggs in the added box or no eggs in the hive anywhere. If you don't have capped brood, open brood, and eggs now, you have a queenless hive that will be dieing if you don't fix it.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

opps... guess I missed a larger detail.

what Iddee said above.