moles

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by BjornBee, Jan 20, 2010.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

For the first time, my back yard is littered with small piles of dirt. Nice rows of them, by the dirt being pushed up by moles.

A couple years back, I think one ate a good bit of the strawberry patch over winter, but the thing disappeared come spring. Maybe the cat had something to do with it.

But now it seems, that a whole group has suddenly found a liking to the yard.

Any words of wisdom or tricks to deal with them?

Thank you.

2. Charles

Charles New Member

lead em about 12 inches :thumbsup: .22 work's great :D

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A jack Russell Terrier, or other feist dog.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you have time and want to have some fun get those kids and a .22 or little .410 shotgun out there.

Dad gave me a .410 when I was 8, learned to shoot on pigeons flying out of the barn, let me tell you they are faaassst. I would walk down to the barn, throw a few small rocks up on the tin roof to make them fly out, this would give me enough time to get ready before they came flying out.

You could always borrow my cat, Thomas.

G3

5. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

The moles are probably after grubs. If you get rid of the grubs the moles will leave. Try milky spores. (Available at your garden center)

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I agree with Redcrane. These moles are eating grubs. If you rid your yard of grubs the moles will move into your neighbor's yard.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

we have a crazy little dachshund puppy (Baby Beek's newest friend) that seems to think digging them up and shaking them to bits is the best fun around. My kitty also thinks it's his personal duty to dispatch every mole, mouse, and snake in our yard.

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Animal's that earn their keep! Now, there's something I don't know anything about.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Thank you for the comments.

How do you shoot them? Do they stick their heads up from time to time, or are you sitting waiting to see the piles of dirt to move? I've never seen one doing the dirt thing. Just everytime I turn around, there seems to be new piles.

I have five cats. One kills a mouse every day. The others just watch. (Yes, I feed them)

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just watch for them.

11. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

You shoot into the ground you see moving. You can also try mothballs down in their tunnels. Just push them into the hole.

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

boy oh boy, if I ever got started letting the kids shoot those things they would start importing them to the garden to have an excuse to hunt something!

it does kind of sound fun though! :p

13. Charles

Charles New Member

A morning not too far in the future for bjorn

[​IMG]

:rolling:

14. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Years ago I had a wonderful cat who would claw a hole in a mole trail, and then sit motionless for hours until a mole trotted through, whereupon she would snag it for lunch. I've never seen another cat with that kind of patience.

15. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

Hobie, our cat will sit and stare at us as long as it takes to get more food or treats. She is so doggone patient! Bjorn, milky spore will work on grubs,which will urge the moles to go find someplace else to dine. Milky spore also lives in the ground so you don't have to apply it every year.

16. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

I've got a Catahoula (dog) that goes moleing, but can't decide if the mole trails are worse than the trench she digs.

17. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

The correct answer is milky spore. Isn't cheap but neither are 150 bulbs ate by the pest.

Shooing them is a set and wait game. Crush down a section of tunnel set down with the shotgun near by. Once you see the dirt being pushed into the tunnel shape again lead and shoot.

:mrgreen: Al

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I think i'm right, that if you get rid of the moles then you will have more Japanese beetles. :shock: The grubs they eat turn into june bugs and japanese beetles. So which of the little darlings do we want. :confused: Jack

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

maybe we need to put some moles under the bee hives to eat SHB larvae hhmmmmmmm just a thought.

G3