Moon Flowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by brooksbeefarm, Dec 5, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A friend of mine ask if i had any Moon flower seed, i told him i never heard of them? He said the bees love them and they open (flower opens) late in the evening and at night, said he had a 30 ft. row of them next to his deck and the bees are all over them. He brought me a bag of seed to plant next spring, :thumbsup: (he's not a beekeeper) any of you know anything about them? Jack

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Beautiful flowers, great scent, but spread easily in a warm climate.

Interesting about the bees, as I would have thought they were in bed when the flowers at sunset

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Zulu, that's what i thought? another friend has some Moon flowers and said the same thing, said they bloom in late summer to frost, and i thought they would be a late nectar source. They say the bud looks like a piece of okra and opens up in the evening or at night? and make a big beautiful white flower. :thumbsup: Jack

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They come in white and yellow. They go from bud to full bloom in about 60 seconds. It is amazing to watch them unfold.

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

im sure i'll get in trouble for saying this but its a big morning glory that opens at dusk...there will be light on it for a little while...it will bloom when the sun is about gone but still some light...an last most of the night...it smells really good too....im pretty sure i posted a pic on one of the other posts...i'll try and find it for you....the flowers are around 6'' across with a yellow star/center like morning glorys get...same vine/leafs as morning glorys....the bees love them as well as giant spinx moths an other stuff...plant the seeds in spring right after the last frost....it will take most of that time before they bloom to cover what you plant them on....i been growing them for years just cause i like the flowers...treat em like morning glorys...dont fertilize or water them to much...they are like morning glorys in that way to...they thrive in poor soil an disturbed areas...if you fertilize them theres a chance they wont put out alot of blooms...ta get them going good in the begining wont hurt but once they take over just let em do their thing...i live in Florida an here if ya lay a 2X4 on the ground too long a tree sprouts from it (kidding...but almost true) your wife will love them planted on a fence or trelis....but dont plant them near something ya wanna see again cause about mid summer or so they seem to go into overdrive an will take over whatever they can climb on...an they grow FAST....ummmm lets see...they have the same seed pod as morning glorys and the seeds look the same...im saying it like this cause i called them morning glorys once on a gardening fourm an got blasted for it...but its like saying a house cat is a cat and a lion is not a cat....get my drift :/

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

title of post was ''moonflowers'' an the arthur was ''noronajo'' if ya wanna search that post...it has a pic i put there with a giant spinx moth getting a meal from it....Iddee is right too...they look like i big spiral spike an then all the sudden...they open...enjoy :)

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

2kooldad, either were talking about two different types of Moon flower or i misunderstood my friend, he said they make a bush, die back and reseed thereself? and if i understand what your saying they make a running vine? I was going to ask if they would be hardy enough to plant around my beeyards (woods and hay fields) without alot of hoing and keeping them cleaned out. :confused: Jack

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm with you, Jack. Mine are on a stem similar to a goldenrod bush, and are only about 2 inches across when open. There must be a variety of different ones.

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The seed pod that he gave me along with several seed, looks alot like those spiked balls that fall off of a gumball tree. Like 2kooldad, he said to plant after the last frost, i thought i might start some in pots inside and transplant them to get a head start. Jack

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

There are 2 kinds...bush an vine...the are 2 kinds of morning glory also...bush an vine....the bush morning glory also has a little burr looking seed like the bush moonflower...the bees dont care much for either of the morning glorys...bush or vine....and like both of the moonflowers...bush an vine...in my garden i have the moonflower vine, morning glory vine and bush morning glory...but no bush moonflower...if its like the bush morning glory...and it sounds like it is...then you will be able to take a stalk of it....cut it in 6'' pieces and put them into jars of water for a few days till they root an plant them in the dirt an they will grow well...thats how i got my bush morning glory...a lady had some an broke off a branch an wrapped it in wet news paper an it rode around in the truck with me at work all day an i put it in water an planted it when it showed roots...that was 6 years ago an i still have that one an give cuttings away all the time...try it Iddee and see...i bet it works...are the leaves heart or spear shaped...if so it would be very easy to multiply it that way...probly more easy than by seed :|

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, mine are on stems like goldenrod or aster. They die out over winter, but reseed themselves the next year.

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

Both Ipomoea and Datura have moonflowers. Both are vines

What I know is Ipomoea alba , quick growing vine , dies with frost but quickly reseeds. White flowers,smell amazing, open at sunset, and are about 3-5" across.

Ipomoea is the same genus as Morning Glories.

My guess is common names can be confusing on this one.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Do they have to be cultivated? or can they be evasive in the wild. They sound like it will give the girls a little something to work on during the dog days of summer. That could be a long ways off, we have a light covering of snow on now from last night. :roll: Jack

15. rast

rast New Member

Problem with kids using the trumpet bloom kind to get high/sick down here. I only knew about that kind (like 2KD described) til now.

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

hmmmmmmmm....like golden rod huh....hmmmmmmmm....well...these all die out an reseed except the bush morning glory...it comes back from the roots but still dies out over winter....hmmmmmmm...seems like we have a bunch O moonflowers...lol...yall always lose me when ya start with the latin names....but...in this case it would clear up some things since everything has its own latin name (ummm..everything does have its own latin name right ???)....the asters by my pond are the same way...identical flowers on 2 diffrent plants and neither are in my plant book plus 3 other kinds that arent in it either....but all asters....Rast you talken bout angles trumpet ??? I herd people were doing that...how dumb is that :/ the things people do baffles me sometimes.

17. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

The post about the seedballs- that is datura. They throw the seeds when ripen, in warm climates they reseed. I lived on the SC coast most of my life and had one planted and reseeded for about 15 years. It was bigger every year with up to a hundred bloooms at a time'. it died with the frost and reseeded each year. it was,is still gorgeous!The yard has pretty much been abandoned in the last 2 years, but they still come up every spring!

18. Omie

Omie New Member

I bought a packet of moonflower vine seeds this year instead of morning glories. Will be fun to try. :)