Moonbeam queens are they worth the extra expense?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crackerbee, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

"Beating and burying the dead horse" picture...hmmmm...In the interest of being fair and not jumping to conclusions, which probably gets my hands smacked....exactly what is that supposed to mean? Is is positive? Helpful? Degrading? You tell me. What caused you to post a dead horse picture? Is the conversation over? Or can others still participate long after you deem it dead? Is it so active around here that further discussions should be scraped? I'm at a loss here..

2. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Nope that wasn't directed at you Bjornbee,I just thought this thread had run course and nothing but negative comments made the point clear enough,and felt there was no need for any more.

My apologies if you thought it was directed at just you because it wasn't.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I took it as Crackerbee saying "Thank You, I have the info I need and have made my decision. The thread has done it's job".

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

:lol:

Sure....why not.

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

im just a newbie an dont know anything anyways so......sorry Crackerbee.

6. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I bred Dexter cattle for a number of years, I took a course and did the AI bit. You have to get inside an organization to find out the skeletons that are often in the closets and to learn the separate little movements and counter flows. Some people are focused on preserving heritage, others on seeking emphasizing some particular traits. Others see a problem in the basic philosophy of specialization in the odds it will sacrifice overall resiliency.
    There is the ever present possibility of unintended future consequences of present actions. I think there are some interesting attributes to the moonbeams that could benefit someone in very special geographic conditions. Just think how good a bull dog was at some very special conditions. We should all be aware of the tremendous problem man inflicted on a lot of our breeds with inherent hip displasia susceptability.

Many things must go onto the scales to judge the benefit of proposed changes. Different people will allocate different values to fame, fortune, short term payoff, long term unknown values or possible disaster that the actions can set the chain of events for.
    There is no question that it is possible to play chess only two moves ahead but we know what results are likely.

Human nature has evolved so that a representative cross section strongly discounts future results in favor of short term benefit. With that kind of predilection it is no wonder man has made such monstrously harmful moves in the big picture.

It is not much use arguing it, but I think we are a long way from putting RIP to questions of dabbling with any beings gene pool.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

:goodpost:

and well said

8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

at the risk of getting yelled at......i agree....i just meant if ya wanted one kind of bee youd have to breed only those kind of bees together to keep having them.....i dont know enuff about AI or breeding programs to argue the point of good or bad....thats all :/

9. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

It seems that not a one has looked at or read anything from Russel's site or forum pages. It seems to me that he is doing it right. Maybe everyone should look at what he has to say.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

brendatm writes:
    It seems that not a one has looked at or read anything from Russel's site or forum pages. It seems to me that he is doing it right. Maybe everyone should look at what he has to say.

tecumseh:
    well perhaps you should review mine and Tyro and Bjorns prior comments and reconsider this statement. it is 'what he said' (and as far as I know no real experience from product was suggest by any of us) that raised the red flag. I had hoped someone had obtained product from Russel's and would give us at least some details of their impression of product and service and perhaps provide a bit more balance to this thread

hopefully Crakerbee will not think I am still trying to beat his dead horse here???

11. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

[quote="hopefully Crakerbee will not think I am still trying to beat his dead horse here???[/quote]

Not at all Tec,I posted the "dead horse)I was just concerned(and I'm not often a stickler for staying on topic)that the topic "Moonbeam queens are they worth the extra expense?"was drifting a little too much(IMO)towards the breeder and his operations(good or bad)and not the specific type queen and what benefits(if any)of said queens would be verses the cost,as stated in my first post.
    I did make sure to put some smiles(but I think some didn't see them and or interpret my true intents) with my dead horse to indicate my lightheartedness in posting it(not naming or quoting anyone),so in hopes that no one would be offended,and that it would get my point across to all,being that there were little to no positive postings(don't recall seeing any),indicating that(IMHO) that Moonbeam queens in fact were not worth the extra expense.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Over the years (almost 50) of keeping bees, i've seen many different breeds of bees come and go and have bought most of them.IMHO there's know silver bullet in queens or beekeeping. The old days of beekeeping are gone (before mites, shb,ect.) never to return.Breeders will keep coming up with new queens that have new traits, and like has been stated on here they will soon fade away and another will soon appear. I'll be watching and hoping, but in the meantime my mutts and i are doing just fine. :thumbsup: Jack

13. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I think that the moonbeam experiment is a good exercise, but from experience with specialty breeds of dogs, cows, horses, heavy equipment, etc., I expect that there will be tradeoffs. If you had the geography made to order for them the extra 10 or 20 bucks would be nothing. If it locks you into an exclusive source to maintain the selected properties that could become old quick.

14. jb63

jb63 New Member

One of my friends has a bunch of blue berries so I pre-ordered 4 moonbeams back in june to try on the blues.If they get here in time I'll let you know how they work.
    When the bloom is on the weather is undependable so if they work 2hrs longer they should pollinate more.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks Jb do let us know 'your experience' with the moonbeams. in addition things like you perception of service and customer attention are important things to report.

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

with all the diffrent kinds of bees there are to chose from....an all the diffrent beeks trying them.....do yall think the good traits of these breeds...because of the drones the hives put out....have any measurable impact on feral bees.....i mean to say if a beek has generation X bees.....will any of those good (or bad) traits end up in the feral population to stay....or will it fade away with the next new feral queen that comes along.....what impact do the fancy bees have on wild ones.

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I think bees are like the human race, as far back as i can trace my family tree, there have been some ups and downs in families, but were still in the 99% category, equal to mutt bees. :lol: Jack

18. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol....that explains why im always in the doghouse....usualy its my mouth that gets me in trouble....i wonder which one of my ancesters let his/her pie hole run wild.

i had carny bees for awhile...but they have been gone several months now...an i still can count carny bees in with my ferals....does that also mean that the feral bees in the cypress down the road also now have carnys in their colonys too....kinda the oppisite an equal reaction thing.

19. cherrykey

cherrykey New Member

agreed. seems like doc is getting the abuse when hes the one that does it right and teaches others. i have run 200 moons for the past 6 years. when he asked me if i wanted to join the program i was replacing 30 to 50 percent of my hives each spring. now maybe 2 percent and i got 2 nucs 1 spit and 200 pounds off my moons this year. my neighbors were lucky to get any crop with no splits. check the price of real breeders not daughters of breeders from tom but breeders straight from marla, sue, joe, etc. 220 per queen is nothing. if you folks would have read anything about the 2200 moon breeders you would know that the 2200 was for 10 breeder queens membership in the program where he literally flies to you and teaches you personally and sets you up as 1 of 10 breeders that would be licensed to sell moons as pure sortof like the russian breeders asso. doesnt sound like many here have ever read docs stuff. may want to spend some time reading and listening before looking down your nose at a fella that knows bees better than any of us here. the moons are not supposed to be a magic bee. they are a cold tolerant bee that leaves the hive earlier and comes back later. its true. my carnies and yellows wont even come to the door when my moons are coming home with pollen. they dont work at night they just dont wait on the sun to warm the hive as much. i have never seen a bee winter as well and put on pounds when nothing else is even flying.

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

glad to hear of someone who has tried the product.

You seem to suggest/assume everyone here is a poor reader with no experience? May I assume the fellow you are talking about is a doctor of some sort?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.