Moonbeam queens are they worth the extra expense?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crackerbee, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thanks for the insight, cherrykey. Although I detected a bit of animosity, I do appreciate the voice of experience. I'm glad you came. I hope you will stay around and keep us informed on the moons. They sound interesting.

2. cherrykey

cherrykey New Member

it shows poor character for anyone to make remarks about someone like the remarks that were made in this thread without even knowing who they are talking about or what the product is. if any research whatsoever had been done about the person or the product the posters and readers would have known that doc is a Dr of entomology and that the moons are not a product in the first place but are the results of a 12 year development that doc personally funded to create bees that would not have to be replaced every year. nothing personal but i was not impressed by the distasteful way that the posters seemed to make up their own ideas about what moons are what had been said about them and assume that they are some marketing ploy. the cost is nothing compared to what the man paid out of his pocket to help us and they are not for sale to make money he is only selling them to spread the traits to help people stop losing bees. not saying anyone is a poor reader but if you are going to talk about a person or subject at least know something about them before you do especially if you are saying bad things.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if you read a bit closer you would discover that neither i nor Bjorn nor Tyro made any reference to the fellow at all. we did seem to come to the same conclusion in regards to his marketing pitch/rhetoric as defined by his web site. this is pretty remarkable consider Bjorn and I rarely agree on anything... don't you think?

some of 'the doctors' web site statements are just a bit more than any reasonable informed person might swallow. even more so considering he is (by your statement) a doctor of entomology. I for one would suggest you consider his statement in regards to the german black bee (apis m. m.). and then read up on what Brother Adam said about this particular 'race' of bees. Then ask yourself what solid evidence do I have that would suggest the word of 'the doctor' should be taken over Brother Adams in this regards?

Finally at + $2000 a pop (about double the price of artificially inseminated queens available from Glenn) your statement that 'the doctor' is doing this just to spread the genetic material is about as logically stretched as some of the claims on 'the doctors' web site.

after all this 'talk' I for one do wish you all the luck and success with 'the doctors' product and do hope you might stay around to lend any advice that you though might be helpful.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tec, I think that 2200 is for 10 queens.Plus a dealership right. Sort of a package deal to represent the moonbeam queens.

5. cherrykey

cherrykey New Member

Iddee is right but it also included him flying to you and personally teaching you and helping you set up a solid program. he stayed at my friends operation in oregon for 3 weeks. when was the last time that you saw an industry leader fly to someones place teach them one on one supply 10 breeder queens set up the breeding operation staying for 3 weeks then provide all of the support and customers for that operation? you think he made any money from that 2200? i think doc just set that price up to weed out the people that were not really serious. he only accepted 10 people total and did the same for each. so your sells pitch theory is bogus. doc and brother adam were friends. you should actually read more about the amms as well. the amm here are totally different than the amm in europe. doc writes about that a lot on his forums. but just like the moon program you would actually have to read his work to know what he actually says about it. in post 12 you insinuated that he was a liar. then in post 43 you say that you made no reference about the fellow at all. this is what i called distasteful. if the price of his queens bothers you so much just dont buy any but downing him or his practices when you have no experience with him doesnt say much good about your character. glenns queens are daughters of top breeders from others who have done the kind of selection work that doc does. they are 100 to 150 each. their mothers like sue cobeys queens range from 500 to 2500 each. bweaver sells their mothers for 5000 and make you sign a contract to pay royalties on every daughter that you make from their breeders. latshaw gets from 550 to 2200 per breeder. the usda gets from 500 to 5000 per breeder and requires that you requeen all of your hives with the daughters join an expensive association and allow them full access to do any experiments on your bees that they want. conners charges 2500 to have lunch with you and talk to you about your bees. doc is the most helpful expert that I know and that is why so many people love him and defend him from uninformed statements. he has become really public in the last few years so there are a lot of people that do not know much about him and make assumptions based on the few things that they read. do more research read his work and then draw a conclusion. or better yet. talk to him yourself and ask him about the things that you do not understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.