Moonflowers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Noronajo, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

We have moonflowers blooming each evening and my bees stay out after dark gathering pollen. I know parts of the plant are poisonous so will the bees suffer any ill effects from the pollen. And will it have any affect on the honey- not sure if any nectar is gathered.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't know about moon flowers, but poison ivy doesn't hurt the bees and makes a beautiful light honey. There's never been a reported instance of a breakout from poison ivy honey.

My guess would be moon flowers are safe for bees and honey.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am not certain what moonflowers are either. Perhaps one of the Oklahoma bee keepers can get us all informed.

4. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Moonflowers,Datura Inoxia, are closely related to Jimson weed, Datura Stromonium. Both have hallucinogenic effects when ingested( or so I've heard). The reason I ask is we have a hundred or more blooms a night and the bees stay out after dark and literally strip every particle of pollen from the huge flowers. I saw 5 bees in one blossom wiggling like crazy! It's like the "waggle dance" on steroids! I've never seen them so excited-they wait on the trumpets 'til 8:00 p.m.when the flowers unfurl. I was just curious because the bees seem to be so enthusiastic.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there are some plants whose nectar or pollen are poisonous. yellow jasmine is at least one plant that sometimes causes problem for beekeepers. with yellow jasmine the bees in the hive may appear drunk and stumbling about, but I don't think it kills them directly. it really just makes them unproductive as a hive but is not lethal to the individual bees. lethal products (natural or manmade) usually show up as piles of dead bees at the front door of the hive.

if you are as dry as we are here then I would suspect the excitement you observed in the bees is more about there being something available in the form of nectar or pollen. this time of year they are quite likely to be quite focused on hoarding anything that looks like pollen.

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

I noticed a bee on a moon plant this evening. I didn't know they liked them. It wasn't open yet, but she definitely wanted inside that bloom.

Jim

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

For us non latin speaking folks the moonflower is a big morning glory that blooms just before dark and lasts most of the night...the pollen wont hurt them or you so dont worry....here is a pic

Attached Files:

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it looks like we will need to appoint 2kooldad as the web sites botanist.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

hope the job comes with bug spray...i got tore up taken that pic....that moth sounds like a humming bird when its buzzen around...make ya duck if its dark out...lol...Noronajo sounds more like the botanist and is right....my southern drawl just makes latin sound funny

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have the Jimson weed around the barn lot that the blooms smell sweet an the blooms open in the evening, Everything on the plant is poison. The bees love it, and like iddee said about poison ivy, it causes no problem. Jack

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

can you post a picture of jimson so i can see it....it sounds familiar but i cant picture it...if not i'll look it up later....i have another plant/vine to look up now...along with the jimson...the bees arent touching it at my house but on this job site they are tearen it up....my florida wild flower book is disapointing me badly....and every plant has ten diffrent names...lol....ima be at this for a loooooooong time :|

12. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

Peterson Field Guides are my stand by - flowers, birds, trees, you name it, I find them to be the most comprehensive and easy to use. Picked up my flower one (Northeastern/Northcentral) at Half Price Books for $5.98.

JC

13. me2pl

me2pl New Member

2kooldad: I'd be interested in that viney plant you spoke of

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

well as soon as i can identify it i'll post it....sometimes identifying plants isnt an easy job...i've got one that i cant find anywhere on the web so far...its probly as commen as a cold but i'll be darned if i can find it....its a lot like Boneset...but diffrent in a few important ways...maybe a cousin.

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member