Moorings trap out #1

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Fuzzystuff, May 19, 2013.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Set the trap out on tree #1 of #2. High Schooler asked me if I help him get started with some bees so I told him sure bring your equipment and gear we will set this trap out on this tree. I grabbed a bar of honey and fresh eggs along with some comb from last year for the bait box and headed to the tree 2 miles from the house. I took these pictures today when I checked on them. There was a dead bee in the cone and by the time I got a piece of wire to dig it out they had already dragged it back and were coming out. The deep box was half full of bees working comb and bringing in pollen. I did not move any bars and will wait until next Saturday to check for a queen cell. I ordered a back up queen that will arrive this Friday or Saturday just in case. I had a screen to reduce the entrance but the bees were so backed up I removed it to give them full access to the hive and man were they coming and going. Did I mention that the place is crawling with poison ivy?

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Looks great! Thanks for the pictures. Me and poison ivy are not good friends...at all....

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks good! Need to get the bit hive entrance closer to the base of the cone, if that is as far a s it will go add a bridge for them to walk on. Good job also on helping get another beek in business!

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

cool pix!
    ooooooo, ivy, makes me itch just looking at it........:lol:

5. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

6. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Well not queen cells started that I could tell. I forgot my gloves and the bees were really mad. Took 9 stings to my left hand and they were just on me so bottom line glad I ordered a queen and I hope she calms them down. I just can't believe how different they were from yesterday.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Check again in 5 days and you will have queen cells.

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Poison ivy is bad business. I would have had to pass on this one. Good luck to you and your new apprentice.

9. Mosti

Mosti New Member

This is the first time I have heard of this system of using acone...how does it actually perform and when is it used? Perhaps someone can post a link to some thread taht will explain it better?

I'll search in the mean time.

Cheers. Joe.

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

11. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

The bees were still angry head butting me but no stings yesterday evening. There is still a steady line of bees exiting the tree and I told the young man I'm helping that he needs to bring another deep box as the deep that is there is full. Hopefully they have some queen cells going on in there.

Mooring tree #1 day 4.JPG

12. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Of course you were right counted at least 4 could have been more. Side note bees were nicer.

13. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg 5 queen cells. I cut 2 out and moved to a nuc with a bar of bees. Should be emerging Saturday. Hope the weather is good next week for mating. Bees still making a steady exit from cone. Thinking I'll move the nuc to the cone for a few days to gather more bees.

14. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Quick update we are up to 4 boxes of bees 1 with a queen, 2 with virgin queen that should be taking her mating flight any day, and 1 with a queen cell that should emerge by Saturday.

15. Lburou

Lburou Member

I would get a headache hanging upside down like that ;)

16. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

great job! love the pictures!

17. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Tree #1 done. Not the results I was hoping for. I should have had 2 hives and a nuc off of this one but queens did not return from mating so I have 1 really strong hive that has filled 2 deeps for brood and needing a super soon. The new BK that helped with the trap out got these bees. It was a heavy 2 boxes about 60-70 lbs or better. The new BK forgot his suit so I got to do the carrying. He told me the transport went well and the bees were not that gumpy. 2 more trees to go