Morning time = crazy busy bees!!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Starting at sun up through noon or so I see a path of bees coming and going from the same directions. The numbers are impressive and would be down right scary to the non beekeeper. They're tripping over each other while coming and going from the hive. It seems all 3 hives have found the same source. Then when afternoon arrives it all comes to a grinding halt and you can just see 2 or 3 bees at a time coming and going from the hive. I have noticed a big squash field about 2/10ths of a mile up the road. The blooms seem to only open during the morning hours so I'm assuming that's where they're heading. The directio of the bee flights see to match up as well. You would think they would look to find another bloom for afternoon collections...lazy things! lol Just an observation.

2. letitbee

letitbee New Member

At least you have some idea where your bees go. I have a huge garden and several small flower gardens on my land less than 100 feet from my hive and I almost never see my bees in them. They have two flight paths that I have noticed, one straight up and over my garage, and the other is straight out of the hive through a gap in the tree canopy and then they are just gone. My neighbor down the street , who didn't know I had bees, commented that he was happy to see more bees around his yard. The little buggers will fly a half mile to my friends yard, but ignore their own. I get a kick out of their independance. They won't touch the water I set out for them 2 feet from the hive but they are getting water somewhere. They are doing great so all I can do is be happy for them!

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

LOL Good to hear! I set out 3 sources of water and they use them all heavily.
    I've planted lots of flowers and shrubs for them and they aren't touching them. My woods (27 acres) are covered with some kind of shrub that has bloomed and smells very good. Today I saw a few bees head in there hopefully scouts to tell the others. But for the most part they are making a bee line for the squash fields. There's 100 acres or so.

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

honey bees focus on what they think is the biggest best sorce of nector/pollen...when they are tuned into that sorce of food they pass most everything else by...they will keep at it untill they find something better...most likely there is a bee or two visiting the flowers at some point...as long as its a sorce of food...lol...you need a ''bee cam''...they are funny about water too sometimes....they like leaky hose/spigots...must be a better water sorce (better to them) near by...maybe your neibors spigots leaks...lol.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Eddy snip..
    'Then when afternoon arrives it all comes to a grinding halt and you can just see 2 or 3 bees at a time coming and going from the hive. I have noticed a big squash field about 2/10ths of a mile up the road. The blooms seem to only open during the morning hours so I'm assuming that's where they're heading.'

tecumseh:
    oddly enough (I think) is that bee-coming a bee keeper does make you notice a lot of stuff more related to botany than just the keeping of bees.

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:
    Tecumseh:
    I know I've learned a lot more about botany than I ever knew.