Moths...

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by LtlWilli, Nov 4, 2009.

1. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

I am going over my hives that either did not take or failed to draw a swarm. In some, I find little white eggs, which I take to be moth eggs. The winter freezeswill kill them I know, but is there a reason to segregate them from "clean" frames for now? :confused:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

your eyes must be better than mine ltlwillie.. I don't think I have ever seen moth eggs. not even certain I might know what they look like?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can easily see SHB eggs, tho. I would freeze the frames immediately.

4. XLB

XLB New Member

we had bad wax moth problems and the eggs your talking about sounds like moth eggs.

i agree with iddee, i'd freeze them, ASAP.

5. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

---It's me. My password stopped working, so I opened a new account....Anyway, I found that the eggs just "melt" under a Bernzamatic flame. I'll have to let winter do the freezing, as I have no access to a freezer with that much room. :cry: The old foundation made a jim-dandy fire , though. :lol:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as several have mentioned freezing is always the safest bet. if it's your wife's freezer, put everything first in a plastic trash bag.

I have a freezer in my honey house and I consider it my line of first defense againist wax moth and the small hive beetles.

if it just melted away I would suspect it was more like what remains of the capping after a bout of robbing. just another possibility.

7. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

...I learn more every day---just by asking....Thanks, guys. :oops:

8. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

FReezer!,.....HURRAY!!!
    My son frames and remodels, and came home with a $50 freezer that works just dandy yesterday....Now, I'm all set.... :Dancing:

9. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Well, the freeer is full of frames now, and I can start in on them tomorrow afternoon. The cool thing is that supers will fit in the bottom. I like that. :Dancing:

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my old freezer is recyled also willie. works just fine although mine will not take a full box so I have to restack the frames almost constantly. If you get into the habit of freezing frames for say a minimum of 24 hr you will begin to have much less problems with shb and wax worms. at all time whenever I remove a frame(s) from a hive I now routinely freeze it before I reuse the frame. even frames that are somewhat damaged by wax worm are less of a problem since a good hive of bees will clean out the damage on the comb and reuse whatever is left and you have little hazard in 'the problem' spreading.

I originally obtained the freezer for storing pollen and comb honey which is still a part of it's defined task.

ps... randy oliver in one of his more recent articles in the American Bee Journal suggested that freezing may also be a good remedy againist one of the nosema twins.

11. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Terrific!....That's encouraging to me. Funny how he bought t without knowing I needd it so badly. It's God or serendipity at work. I'll choose the former possibility, of course.
    Thanks again, good guy.
    Rick