Moths

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Beeboy, May 30, 2013.

1. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I did a cut out a week ago. I put nine frames in a deep box, put a queen excluder on top of that, & put another deep box on that. Inside that box I put several pieces of comb with brood in it inside that box, so that they could continue raising their young until the queen got up & running in the box below. I looked at it & found some moth larva just hatching out, so I threw that piece of comb away in case there were more moth eggs in it. I am now thinking that I should have thrown all that old comb away, & put all those frames in a freezer & make them start all over with new frames, & I'm worried about them as I won't be able to do that until I get off of work, & then it's supposed to be raining.

Any advice?

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

They will be fine one or two more days. Resilient beings they are. Will they will be fine in one deep for now or are there too many? I would take the deep with the old comb off completely and freeze it. And, then put them back on with another deep. That must have been a bunch of bees to need another deep.

3. pturley

pturley New Member

If there are enough bees, remove the excluder and allow them to defend the comb. Strong hives generally have no problems with wax moths.

If not, take off the upper deep, freeze the frames for 2-3 days and store it for future use.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If there were enough bees for 2 deeps, there would be no moths. Rubber band the combs into frames and put all bees in that box. Remove the empty box. Also, if the 9 frames were not drawn comb, they will draw a tenth comb before using the frames. With enough bees to cover all frames, the moths will be thrown out. Also, get some BT and use it on all frames.