Motor oil honey

Discussion in 'Bees' started by brooksbeefarm, Aug 14, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Most of my honey that i have taken off here at home is as dark as motor oil. :confused: I have no idea what they made it from, you can hold it up to the sun and not see light through it.It's thick and some say it has a molasses taste? no farmers around has any type of cane crop out but there is several alfalfa fields close by. I know that alfalfa and sumac can produce dark honey, but never seen it this dark.The good thing is, i let people taste it at the farmers market and it has been flying off the shelf. :thumbsup: Jack

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Any buckwheat in the area? It's very dark... and people either love it or hate it (I am in the former group.). Japanese knotweed also produces a dark honey.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Betting on buckwheat.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

In past years I have captured a bit of honey at one of my friends place who has a repair shop and junk yard. For some unknown reason the honey there is always very dark. I market it as "Tommy's Pretty Good Junk Yard Honey'.

I think most of the honey derived from trees is usually very dark.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:
    I like the idea of the motor oil honey: at least wishful thinking.
    In your part of the country, at this time of year, I'm in agreement with Zulu. Probably buckwheat.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

perhaps it is buckwheat although for myself the smell would definitely give it away. Jack's description of it tasting a bit like molasses kind of makes me think it is not buckwheat honey.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Not buckwheat, i'm the only one who plants buckwheat in the area and i just planted some last Friday, i do have another little patch that i planted 2 weeks ago but not blooming yet. I've been taking alot of flack from friends and neighbors, they walk by my booth (at the farmers market) and say, look jacks trying to pass off his old used tractor oil for honey. :lol: Jack

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

About 2 km from my home is an avocado orchard---boy, can that produce dark honey.... and strong smelling too, unfortunately, not in the positive sense.
    On the other hand eucalyptis honey is quite light, tasty and has a delicious fragrance. Unfortunately, the eucalyptis trees near my home are not dependable in their flowering. Around Lake Kinneret (the sea of Gallilee) they produce a very good crop regularly.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just poked my head into the forum for a couple of minutes and saw this thread. Thought I'd add a pic.
    No buckwheat here, think the dark stuff might be some kind of aster.

[​IMG]

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

perrybee, the dark honey picture looks like what i have. The aster hasn't bloomed here yet so it's not aster and nobody in my area grows buckwheat but me, and it won't bloom for two more weeks. It has a good flavor and some of the people who bought some have come back for more,they say they want to stock up before it's all gone. Sure wish i knew what they made it from, i've never had honey this dark. :confused: Jack

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:coolphotos: Perry--good to see you around. I hope it means you are progressing ahead of schedule. We anxiously await your regular return.

12. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Locust and basswood make light honeys. I don't know what other tree honeys are like, really. But, isn't malalooka, from FL, a dark honey which tastes awful. Avacado is dark, isn't it, but isn't a tree? Or is it?

Eucalyptus is a dark honey too, isn't it?

I don't know what you have there, but buckwheat makes the most sense to me. Sell it at a premium.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Avacado is dark, isn't it, but isn't a tree? Or is it?

Eucalyptus is a dark honey too, isn't it?

sqkcrk: The Avocado fruit grows on a large tree, very much like a mango tree. The honey i prooduces is very dark, does not smell good nor, in my opinion, taste good. The one time I used it (given to me by a store as a "gift") the only way we could handle it was by baking it into a honey cake--that eliminated he smell and it was very tasty.
    Eucalyptus trees produce a light colored honey with a very pleasant delicate fragrance. I wish I could produce more of it but it only comes irregularly (the trees don't flower every year) and generally in small amounts where I live. :|

14. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Thanks ef. I think I may have seen some eucalyptus trees in Los Angeles, CA. Is that possible? But I have never seen a mango tree.

Good to know. apparently there is quite a variety of tastes and colors of honey from trees. Just as there is from other flowering plants.