Mountain camp feeding

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ibeelearning, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I have a bunch of new hives this year. I began getting concerned about feeding when the honey started disappearing a couple weeks ago. Figured it was late summer slump and-- because I am cheap and lazy-- decided to just feed some dry sugar. I blame this on reading my hero, Michael Bush :thumbsup:. I had it in my wee head that I would use the top cover, pour sugar (and cinnamon for ant control), spritz to crust, throw on an empty medium and go home. All those things I had in the yard, on the hive or in the truck. Hopefully, a fall flow will start in a couple more weeks.

WP_20140813_001.jpg

So, after I got home, I decided maybe I ought to refresh my memory about how you are really supposed to do this. Now, I can't find where anyone says use the top cover to feed on. It seems to work. The bees are eating and storing. I'm not buying a bunch of expensive top feeders or drowning bees. Everybody seems happy. With relatively mild winters in North Alabama, I am thinking about using this as primary feeding this winter.

So I am wondering, is there some downside I haven't figured out yet?

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Bees need more water than nectar in the Summer. Water is not stored so there are "water bees" Now you have dry sugar that the bees need to gather even more water to liquify. Mason jars are $10 a dozen don't be so cheap!

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well look at it this way, if the girls are not working then more can go be waterboys lol