Mountaincamp pollen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 17, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Has anyone tried this? I was thinking (and it hurt:grin:) that putting about a cup of dry (iddee's dry pollen mix) next to the sugar (on top of the newspaper) and spray a little bit of water on it to make it cake up.With the queen starting to lay a little now and if they are short on pollen, i would think this would be a good source for them? Any thoughts? Jack

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

They should be able to get to it when weather would keep them socked in. They will take dry pollen from open feeders so I dont see why it would be a problem inside. I made up some patties from brewers yeast. soy protein and sugar syrup. They didnt think it so hot last fall when they still had real pollen coming in but I bet they will go for it in a month or so. I have the bulk of it in the freezer in hamburgher sized patties.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I myself have never tried this Jack. Of course feeding sugar in this fashion is not something I would do here <too many other risk and not being able to open hives for extended periods is not a real problem. Do inform us after the fact how it works. Curious minds just got to know!