Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mountains win !!!! Feb. 2010 My wife and I left western Colorado and moved to Tulsa Ok. to care for her younger sister, who had several strokes. Six months ago she went off her depresion(sp?) meds and left her husband, told off her kids and sisters as she decided she could care for herself and she moved out of state. I was born and raised in Arizona and lived in the west most of my life, my wife is from Utah and we both want mountains on the horizon and not tornado sirens so the first of Aug. we are outa the flatlands and headed west to southern Idaho. Jim

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Good luck with the move!!

I'm an ol' hillbilly myself, and will always say there is nothing better than the mountains, flat land is alright for a visit.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Yes..like me some mountains...Gatlinburgh, TN is my favorite place in the whole country because of the ole Smokies. Never been to Idaho myself but I am sure it will be better than flatlands. Pleasant and safe travels to you all...

I live a 1/4 from my children's school system and there is one of those sirens there. That darn thing went off while I was messing with my hives a Friday ago for it's weekly test at 11am...loud sucker! The bees allegedly don't hear but I wondered if it would bother them if they did, ha!

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I hope you enjoy your new location Jim. :thumbsup:
Do your hives come with you or will you be starting from scratch? I look forward to hearing about beekeeping in Idaho. I don't recall any other forum members from up there (but I'm sure there are plenty). :grin:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
efmesch: 10 double deep hives will make the move, sold 12 and gifted gifted 6.

In Colorado we lived in the valley at 4700 ft elevation, with a 20 min drive I could be at 10-12,000 ft. Tulsa sets at 700 ft.
My wife has MS and can't handle the heat very well so the move will be good for her.
Tulsa temps- 105 high 80-90 lows
Twin Falls Id. 96 high 60-65 lows

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
[

I live a 1/4 from my children's school system and there is one of those sirens there. That darn thing went off while I was messing with my hives a Friday ago for it's weekly test at 11am...loud sucker! The bees allegedly don't hear but I wondered if it would bother them if they did, ha![/QUOTE]

But they do feel vibrations and don't like thunder so that is kind of like hearing No?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
IDAHO?! i am JEALOUS! very, very cool jim, sometimes when i get home to montana i sneak over to idaho to go fishing, my son used to live in spokane, and i have some distant rele's in twin falls.

"we both want mountains on the horizon and not tornado sirens"
:lol:

wish you and your family a smooth transition and a great move to idaho!

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a G3 snip..
I'm an ol' hillbilly myself, and will always say there is nothing better than the mountains, flat land is alright for a visit.

tecumseh:
I use to say 'flat commercial ground is good for flat commercial people'. and here I be a hillbilly boy livin' in a very flat terrain. my wife and I (who both have origins in mountain terrain basically from the two coast) do have to do our 'mountain fix' at least once a year.

for those that like to read there is a small observation in 'zen and the art of motorcycle maintaince' where the author suggest after making some reference to various holy men talking pilgrimages to the mountains that 'zen doesn't really happen in the mountain, but you can clearly see it from there'.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Living in the level coastal area, being in the mountains is one of the many things I love about Jerusalem. When driving west (about one hour) to get there, you can see the sudden change from rolling lowlands to the climbing mountains, and when in Jerusalem, it's all a story of up and down. "Jerusalem is surrounded by mountains....." (Psalms 125:2). You can look up the rest of the verse yourselves.:eek:ldtimer:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
When driving west (about one hour) to get there, you can see the sudden change from rolling lowlands to the climbing mountains, and when in Jerusalem, it's all a story of up and down.
That must be what David thought when he said, This is the place for me! :thumbsup:

I'm sure it's very beautiful. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts