Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I believe #4 hardware cloth (1/4 inch) is what people use. I've also read that drones can have a hard time squeezing out of #4, and workers have trouble "dragging out the dead" sometimes. There shouldn't be many drones left by the time you're putting mouse guards on though.

Anyone with experience using this kind of mouse guard? Any other home-made mouse guard ideas? I bought Maxant stainless-steel guards for my first hives. They're very spiffy, but I'd like to find a more economical option (and I love things homemade).

-Dan

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have just purchased them, but I've got some antique boxes I aquired, and some of them have rather large mouse sized holes in them. So I figure I should put the mesh on the "extra" holes.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
#3 or #4 hardware cloth. #3 is harder to find, but eliminates the above problems. !/2 inch will allow a mouse to go through.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A while back, I searched high and low for #3 cloth but couldn't find any. If anyone out there has a reasonable source, let me know.

What kind of mouse guards do you guys use?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I just use the purchased brackets with the 3/8" holes. If I run out, I'll probably try to fashion a similar 90 degree bracket from some scrap 26 gauge steel panels.

Walt

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I notice some of my customer here fashioned some very neat little mouse guard/hive entrance reducers this spring from the metal and plastic drywall bead you use on corners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts