Moved to beekeeping 101

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by jimenz, May 6, 2011.

1. jimenz

jimenz New Member

I have about 3 gallons of old honey from last year. It's basically from when we extracted last fall. I do not have a feeder that fits down in beside the frames.

So what's the best method to use in order to not avoid any robbing bees?

Should I dilute the honey to a syrup first?

If so can I use the 1 to 1 ratio I use for sugar?

Jim

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Re: HOW TO FEED OLD BACK TO BEES

As long as you are sure that your honey is free from any possible diseases!
    I have asked this question myself a long time ago and if my memory serves me, you should dilute it by adding 10% water.
    I have done this before as well and they do not seem to take it as readily as sugar syrup. That said, they would have to take an awful lot of syrup to equal the value in the honey I suppose.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have fed honey back to the bees just in quart jars using a boardman feeder type of lid (about a dozen very small holes), inverted on the inner cover hole. They sucked everything out except what little bit had turned to sugar. I do not like to feed on the entrance since this will promote robbing.

Are you just trying to feed one hive out of many or trying to feed all hives equally? If equally just open feed the honey to them at least 100 feet (more is better) away, they will find it.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The 10% added water may well be correct, but I mix it equally with water. 1:1. Do not feed it during a heavy honey flow, they won't take it.
    Do not feed it during a dearth. It will cause robbing.
    Feed it when there is a LIGHT flow on.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I must ask out of curiousity. honey dont go bad unless it is to high in moister when extracted. Why not sell the honey and feed the bees sugar water. That would put food on the bees table and money in your pocket. Everybody wins