Movie review thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Apr 3, 2010.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Last night, my mom watched the kids, and they are staying on the farm this weekend. So the wife wanted to go to the movies among other things.

We watched shutter island. Not bad. Interesting and had you guessing throughout. Ending predictable.

Thought maybe others could add to their movie going experiences and whether a movie was worth the money, time, etc.

What have you seen lately?

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

The last movie we saw was Get Smart with Steve Carell. We really enjoyed it and found ourselves laughing at all the little bits that pertained to the original tv show that the younger audience was not getting. In other words we were laughing when no one else was. We left the theater speculating whether there would be a sequel and kind of hoping there would be. Was it worth the cost of admission? I don't know, but it was nice to do something different and get out of the house.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I finally got around to seeing "Avatar." Awesome movie!

4. SamgeeGamwise

SamgeeGamwise New Member

I'm totally wanting to see Avatar. I wish I had had time to catch it while it was on the big screen but I'll have to settle for a small private viewing on the telly! Also I did see Shutter Island and I was somewhat skeptical because of the mixed reviews and I'm not a big Leo fan. It was a GREAT movie. I HIGHLY recommend!

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Avatar is... well a movie that will change how movies are done from now on.

The 3D Big Screen version just makes you giddy. The home video version ain't bad either.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

My wife and son and I watched "Invictus" on Movies On Demand last sunday. Somewhat inspiring. I thought that Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon let the story be the star. That was probably Clint Eastwoods' way of directing them.

7. Charles

Charles New Member

I'm a little behind the times, we just watched the first Iron Man, it was really good :) I'm not much of a Robert Downey Jr fan but he did a great job. Now when Iron Man 2 hits the video stores I'll be ready :)

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We don't watch very many movies but we enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. a few months ago. We also really enjoyed The Blind Side.

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

We rented Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey, Jr. It was very good, although I have to admit alot of the dialogue got past me with all that British accent. I have to say, the old Basil Rathbone version of Holmes used his brains to fight the bad guy. The new Holmes used his brains and brawn. Lots of action scenes. I always have liked Downey. He can convey more with one facial expression than most actors do in a whole movie.

10. Charles

Charles New Member

Can't argue there, he's a good actor but just never made it to my favorites list :)

We watched the hustler with Jackie Gleason and Paul Newman the other day...what a classic that one is!

11. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Just rented "The Road" on DVD. I thought it would be depressing, but it's actually quite well-done. Quite a few unpleasant scenes (not for kids), but appropriate for the story, and not overdone. I wanted to see it because parts of it were filmed on Presque Isle peninsula here in Erie, right on the beach where we sail our Hobie Cats. Part of me is proud that our beach was chosen as a film site, but part of me is concerned that is was chosen for its likeness to a post-apocalyptic world... :confused:

It was filmed in the grayness of early spring. Rumor has it that the film crew panicked when we had a few warm days in February and the grass in the sand dunes started to turn green. They had to pull out all the green stuff and stick dead grass clumps in the dunes.