Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Thomas and I've just inherited 19 full hives from my uncle who rece try passec. I am moving his beehives and bees from his home to my homestead 40 miles away.When is the best time and optimal temperature to close up the hives and transport them? What I'm thinking is to attach each hive and supers together so I can move them one at a time. I will use a board and ratchet straps to hold each hive together then put each one I to the trailer. Please give me as much advice and pointers you can. I need to get them moved within the next two months. I live near St.louis MO. I thank you ,Thomas zs

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome,
I am new to beekeeping but I would imagine that the best time to close them up would be at night when you are sure that all the bees are in the hive and not out flying. I am not sure if the temperature matters because it is ambient anyhow. A forty mile trip with the bees is not long. Just make sure that you have the area all set up to put the hives in their new location. You don't want to be messing around in total confusion when you get them there.Keep the relocation for the bees as stress free as possible.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Stop! Before you set yourself up for failure!

Before you move the bees you need to evaluate their condition and cull any mite bombs.
You don't want to move a mite infestation and any colony that cant keep the mites in check is not worth keeping and will likely infect the other hives.

Moving the bees is 10% of the challenge.

Having any bees left in 60 days is the big challenge!

I would urge you to seek council with an experienced local Bee Keeper, your odds of success on your own are low.

Besides the hives there are many other tools and supplies you will need.
Veil / bee suit
feed / feeders (Pollen Fondant Syrup)
any honey extracting equipment
Smoker and hand tools
Any extra bee gear Frames boxes foundation top or bottom boards NUC's.

If you are going to keep bees you need to have this stuff on hand, ready to go

Reactions: Wil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been keeping three hives on my own for two years.My uncle the one who passed has been teaching me as long.I just never imagined moving them anywhere. Until he passed. The hives are very healthy.
Thomas
Stop! Before you set yourself up for failure!

Before you move the bees you need to evaluate their condition and cull any mite bombs.
You don't want to move a mite infestation and any colony that cant keep the mites in check is not worth keeping and will likely infect the other hives.

Moving the bees is 10% of the challenge.

Having any bees left in 60 days is the big challenge!

I would urge you to seek council with an experienced local Bee Keeper, your odds of success on your own are low.

Besides the hives there are many other tools and supplies you will need.
Veil / bee suit
feed / feeders (Pollen Fondant Syrup)
any honey extracting equipment
Smoker and hand tools
Any extra bee gear Frames boxes foundation top or bottom boards NUC's.

If you are going to keep bees you need to have this stuff on hand, ready to go
As for the equipment I have my own plus his 2
30 odd years of equipment. He has been selling his honey in grocery stores for along time. I am moving the hives as well as all the equipment. I do have other mentors as well. I posted here to get as many opinions as possible.
Thank you,
Thomas

·
Administrator
3,678 Posts
It sounds like you have a plan @SevenCrows. I can't see what weather region you are in, that would be a concern as well. If it is winter and the bees are all in, and there is fondant on the hive, I would staple screening over the entrance the night before the move, and move in the morning. Have your stands set up at your new location so it's on the truck and off the truck. Weather is an issue, feel free to post yours. And welcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies also I am in Missouri just 10 mins south of St.Louis. Yeah I'm pretty nervous about moving them because they were such a huge part of my uncles life. I'm trying to plan the best strategy and get as much info before the big day. So I appreciate even the tiniest bit of advice. I will upload videos of the move when I get it done. I know there are companies that move hives from farm to farm for crop pollination.
Thank you all so much,
Thomas

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good luck with your move and Happy New Year.
Happy New Year to all.

·
Administrator
3,678 Posts
Thank you everyone for your replies also I am in Missouri just 10 mins south of St.Louis. Yeah I'm pretty nervous about moving them because they were such a huge part of my uncles life. I'm trying to plan the best strategy and get as much info before the big day. So I appreciate even the tiniest bit of advice. I will upload videos of the move when I get it done. I know there are companies that move hives from farm to farm for crop pollination.
Thank you all so much,
Thomas
I've moved a couple. I staple screening over entrance at night, use the big staples to staple boxes together, have adequate help for the lift, put a sheet on the truck,, set box in sheet, wrap up and duct tape sheet down. Drive before dawn, preferably fairly warm weather. I just set the hive, sheet and all, on the stand, remove the tape, go get the next one. remove screening from entrances as soon as all hives in place. Obviously you're going to pull syrup feeders before the move, maybe replace right after depending on whether you need to feed. Go back in a couple of days, lift hive pull sheets out. I keep my bees about 18 inches above ground due to skunks, and that makes the back strain issue less when picking up, but I pull honey before I need to have 4 supers, or it gets tall.

I'd do about 6 at a time if you have a 6 hive stand and a good size pickup. and 6 sheets. I don't think I forgot anything but feel free to ask.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it turns out its closer to 49 hives. I havnt moved any yet ,I have been moving all of the equipment, extractors bottlers and label machine plus wax filter thing, He had alot of stuff. Im going to do the move the first week of march as we are in a major cold snap here. I will be Vlogging it and updating through the season so you all can watch me stress lol. thanks for asking
Thomas

·
Registered
77 Posts
Holy crap a whole beekeeping setup!
A beekeepers dream windfall.
I hope you have a nice place to set it all up.
If you are going into the bee business,
You should also pursue his customers and other business contacts.

49 colonies is going to put you near a full time operation. Are you ready for that?

Reactions: Gypsi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

49 colonies is going to put you near a full time operation. Are you ready for that?
No I'm not ready lol. We'll I am as ready as I can be. I think I can do it. As long as the bees cooperate. Yes I am going to pursue his customers. I've already contacted some and let them know what's happening.
Thanks
Thomaspl

business,

No I'm not ready lol. We'll I am as ready as I can be. I think I can do it. As long as the bees cooperate. Yes I am going to pursue his customers. I've already contacted some and let them know what's happening.
Thanks
Thomas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts