Moving 2 Hives about 10-15 miles...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by DonMcJr, Jul 9, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

As some of you read Farmall has to get rid of his hives cause he's allergic and he's about 10 or 15 miles away from me.

I figure the entrance reducer can be flipped to block the entrance and I have rachet straps and Pickup with a cap on it.

So do I do it late evening when it's still light out or after dark.

If I do it after dark and have to break the hive boxes to lift it in the truck should I smoke them? I'm thinking if it's dark and I open the hive they may think something is messing with them.?

Does it matter if i put one on each side of my current Hive about 5 feet to either side?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you can load them without separating, do it after dark. If they are bearding, smoke them lightly and they will move inside. Unload when you arrive home.

If you have to break them down to load, load them 1 hour "approx." before dark, leaving the truck parked where the hives had been setting. Then visit for an hour while they gather. Yes, use smoke.

Unload them the next morning, WITH SMOKE.

You can set them as close to other hives as you want. It won't be a problem.

PS. I would remove the truck cap unless you can drive with it's windows open to allow the wind in. You don't want them overheating.

3. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok thanks...One hive I think I can Move after Dark and lift it in...The other has 2 Supers on it and we'd have to probally take the Supers off to lift it.

There's also a Top Bar Hive my friend is moving probally 25 Miles...any special tips there?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't know enough about them (TBH) to offer much advice about moving them. Don't even know if they would fit in a pick up with a canopy on it, might be too high?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No help there. Just a wise crack.

Switch to Lang. :D

6. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

My Friend has 2 Langs he wants the TBH for more Wax I think. I didn't wanna mess with a TBH in my 1st year...maybe later on but not now...

7. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I moved my first two hives about 19 miles from the previous owner under the same situation as you mentioned. I went over after my friend got off of work at midnite. We used a ratchet strap to secure the hives, 2 deeps and 1 honey super each, together. I had a piece of window screen to place over the entrance and we duct taped the top cover around the edge to prevent the bees from escaping thru the top. This was in early April so the hive was not too heavy for both of us to lift onto my truck. Getting them off by myself was another problem and I had to break them apart to do so. I "lost" a lot of bees in the back of the truck and on the ground while the boxes were separated.

(That's where I learned the importance of tying or somehow closing your pants legs because several crawled up that avenue looking for a place to stay or in my case a place to sting. Luckily for me they decided in mass to sting around my ankles and not look further up.) :grin:

But the next morning, most of the "lost" bees had found their way back into the hive, hopefully, because there was not but a small number in the bed of the truck.
    Good luck.

8. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Don, I moved a TBH about two months ago and had no problem. It was moved 150 miles.

I waited until dark and screened the entrances in. I put a 1" X 2" piece of wood across the top bars the length of the hive under the cover. I then put a ratchet strap aropund the hive to keep the cover on and to tighten down on the 1" X2". The 1" x2" is to keep the top bars from bouncing up and down as you transport the hive.

As I was moving them so far, I wrapped the entire hive with a piece of window screen and I do not believe that I lost any bees. There were several guard bees at entrances when I screened them in and they were still there when I arrived. I went ahead and set the hive up when I arrived at 1230 that night. I use one of those red LED lights that go on your head or hat. The bees seem not to notice this light.

Hope this helps, Robert

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Don't shine the headlights at the hives when you pull in after dark, every guard and her sister will be on alert and defensive. The other option would be to use #8 hardware cloth to screen the entrance just before dark.

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Have moved a few this year , thanks to Iddee.

I used a robbing screen on one, and just an onion bag on the other full hives, just closed up the entrance after dark when most of the foragers made it home.loaded into the trunk of my car and keep the air on full to keep the car as cold as possible

Three nucs I moved early in the morning ( sunrise ) after blocking the entrance after dark with #8 wire screen duct taped across it.

Have another two to move this week, will probably just do the same.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I do hope you have some help. Almost any hive at this time of year is bound to be heavy.

I myself try to avoid moving full sized hives. for hives of some size I have used double screens and employ these as tops and bottom after breaking a larger hive apart into parts.

the largest risk you face in a full size hive is 1) it tipping as you go from point a to point b and 2) the various layers moving apart in route. hive staple and/or straps should be employed if you are not taking the hive apart. if you must go thru any populated area a screen (I use a small bit of shade screen like used in greenhouses) to cover the hive(s) is certainly a good idea.

12. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

Don I should be home the 20th or 21st not sure yet I'll give you a call when I know more.

13. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

That's good John probally take Saturday night off work and move them then...let me know!