MOVING A HIVE ACROSS THE FARM: how many did it with no problem with bees returning to

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by adamant, May 13, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

how many did it with no problem with the bees returning to the hives original location? keep my bees on a 300 ac farm and right now they are in a apple orchard . i like to move them to another part of the farm but don't have the resources of taking them 3 miles away for sometime and them bringing them back!

how many moved them a short distance with success?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I move them when and where I want. They will be fine in about 3 days.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Me to. I just added some nice hive supports to my apiary (cinder clocks and 4x4's) and moved the hives onto them. All my hives are about 15-20 ft from where they were. I made up some nucs, some with queens and some with capped queen cells and placed them at the old hive locations and they picked up the foragers from the big hives. All is normal now. It has never been an issue.

4. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I had the similar thing adamant...It is amazing how they work it out fanning the pheromones to let the others know where they are... They were only moved to a new stand six feet away, but such a pretty sight as they followed the pheromone trail. They do work it out!

beetrail2.jpg

5. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Other options that may or may not help the bees but might make you feel more comfortable:
    1) Wait until cool weather and screen off the entrance(s) and move them at night, leaving them locked up for a day. You can also place grass, leaves or a small branch in front of the entrance to prompt them to realize that something is different and do a new orientation flight on that location.

2) Move all the hives but one....leave that one there for a few days to pick up any stray foragers that are trying to find the old location. Some folks put an empty box or one with frames in it in the old location, on the off chance that lost bees will gather there and you can then relocate them.

3) Move the hives a small distance every day until you eventually get them where you want them.

Option #1 above is the only one that I have actually done when the move was less than three miles. I don't know if it was necessary to screen them in for a day and then put stuff in their way, but it didn't take much effort on my part and it worked, so my superstitious primate brain tells me I must do it this way from now on and pass this information on to future generations so that bad things don't happen to us all. Anything to prevent the bee gods from cursing the honey crop.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you are really worried about it then move them after dark and litter the landing board with loose grass to get them to re-orient when they fly the next day.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    2) Move all the hives but one....leave that one there for a few days to pick up any stray foragers that are trying to find the old location. Some folks put an empty box or one with frames in it in the old location, on the off chance that lost bees will gather there and you can then relocate them.

tecumseh:
    you can play this several ways. choose one hive that is weak in population and leave this one to be moved later or pull a few frames from the hives to be moved making up essentially a queenless hive + a mated queen and you now only have one small nuc to be moved later.

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Okay, so someone here said if the hives were in mostly full sun, the mites would be minimal to none. I don't have mites but would like to do all I can do to avoid them. I put my hives where they are now following the advice of Beekeeping for Dummies reference "dappled sunlight." So, here are pics of my hives in relation to the sun cast at 2:30 PM today...the sun was pretty much over my head center. What do you all think about moving the hives into the light just ahead of those logs I placed on the ground? Also, it appears from this thread that moving the hives is not as big as an issue as I thought. I would be moving them approximately 6-8 feet forward. Could I do that later this evening and not have any foreseeable issues? Thanks for your time. Dave
    0608121431.jpg 0608121431a.jpg

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

First, the sun reduces SHB, not mites.

Second, Beekeeping for dummies was likely published before the SHB arrived.

Full sun is best for SHB and will produce more honey. Moving them 10 feet forward should be no problem. I would move one an hour to give each set of foragers time to find their own hive rather than mixing them up all at once.

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Iddee...I meant beetles. I will start moving them this evening.

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Does everyone here as a rule, keep their hives in full or mostly full sun?

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

When and where I can.:smile:

14. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Mine get direct sun for about 2 hours per day. I have a shady yard, so that's about the best I can do. I saw a few SHB early this Spring when I first started. Now that the bees have gotten strong, I haven't seen a single beetle in a few weeks. I also have beetle jails which have been empty the last two inspections.

I was nervous at first, but after talking to an experienced beek with hives in a shady yard I felt much better. He told me that he's had his hives in the shade for years with no problem. The key, he says, is to keep them strong & healthy.

15. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Ours get sun from sunrise until 5pm

16. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

The ones at my house get 2+ hours of full sun, then whenever it makes it through the trees and hits the hive. Can tell a difference in the bees when they get a spot of sunlight. More active. I have only one spot in my yard that gets all day sunlight and the garden takes it up. No place to put the hives, all veggies!

The hives at my uncles 2 acres has houses surrounding the property and he has large black walnut trees everywhere so I'm stuck in a spot that gets I would say 6-8 hours of sunlight in the early part of the day.

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ah, the sunlight made a great difference in activity. I took these around 3:30 which is an hour later than yesterday. So, the sun was already moving behind some tall trees but I bet they were in full sun for a handful of hours...
    0609121613.jpg 0609121613a.jpg