Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have been wanting to post pictures of the modified SBB for an inner cover. This was installed in late June and the massive bearding went away on the yellow hive.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
rail:
"Omie & riverbee, I took your advice for the vent in the top cover for the deep nucleus over the green hive." and "I have been wanting to post pictures of the modified SBB for an inner cover. This was installed in late June and the massive bearding went away on the yellow hive."

great pictures rail, and a great decision for top ventilation, being in the north country, i am a firm believer in top ventilation for my bees year round. my inner covers i have notched out about 3", improves ventilation and also gives the bees an upper entrance when the snow starts coming down up here. in the summer i place vent boxes over the inner covers, homemade, but sort of along the lines of tim arheit's of honey run apiaries.

i am curious about your modified sbb for an inner cover, if i am looking at your pics correctly, you have a notch in this for an entrance/exit as well? i have something similar to this i use for moving bees long distances in the heat of the summer; modified inner covers with hardware cloth stapled to it. anyway, i like your modified cover. i learned old fashioned beekeepin' ways and sometimes stick to it, hard to sell me on new fangled things, but love the bees so much i enjoy tinkering and innovation, and enjoy seeing what others do with their bees across the planet, would like it if you shared how you made this cover, might have to tinker this winter and make a few....just because :grin:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
riverbee:

The inner cover is a standard screen bottom board with the front section cut away and a standard entrance reducer glued and nailed in place. It is placed upside down on the hive chamber.

This hive had massive beards hanging from the lower entrance and bottom of the sbb. This stopped the bearding and there are equal amounts of bees at the top and bottom entrances.

Hope this explains the modification? If not I will post other pictures of it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
hi rail,
no, it is not too late to a move a hive for your location, just do as you did before, using the moving/ robbing screen, they will be fine :grin:

curious, why do you have to move it?
Need full sun for small hive beetles.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts