Moving a hive.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I need to move a hive about 15 feet from where it is. Can I move it after dark tonight? and I have read that
    you need to stack limbs in front of the entrance for a day or so and that will cause them to reorient when they
    come out in the morning.

Asking the pros here...

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Yes, or, move it 3 feet a day and in 5 days you're there. :mrgreen:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Or move it 15 feet and in 5 days none will go back to the old spot. Fewer will return each night until they all re-orient.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If you only have one hive the bees when they discover there house is moved they will try to join another colony and it theirs is the only hotel around most will rejoin there hive being the closest, but if you have more than one they will end up spread around the apiaries and 1/2 the original population will be in other hives, or dead being blocked from entering the other hives.

5. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

What if you wait till fall or later .when they have slowed down and you have removed the supers,and prepared them for winter?will this make a difference? thanks.

6. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Moved them the whole distance at once.

Blocked the entrance of the hive with grass clippings and then piled a buck of thin branches in front of the hive. Made it hard for them to come and go. It sems to have worked.

Don't think they got much work done yesterday though, they were to busy getting grass removed from entrance and buzzing around the hive. But at dark there were no bees bunched up at their old location. I cleaned up the hive last night.

Thanks,

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"What if you wait till fall or later .when they have slowed down and you have removed the supers,and prepared them for winter?will this make a difference? thanks."

not a problem judelt, but i would not move them after cold has set in, this would disturb the winter cluster of the bees.

8. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

thanks. think i will move my 2 the next few weeks after i remove the supers!

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

happy bee movin' :grin:

let us know how it turns out!

10. Polln8r

Polln8r New Member

I also have a question about moving a hive so I thought I'd jump on this thread. I've sold my house (after 4 years on the market - phew!) and in a couple weeks we'll be moving about 10 miles away. I've read a little about how to move my hive: strap it down, close up the entrance, move it at night... but I'm sure there's more that I need to know. For instance, I have a screened bottom board. Do I need to put the whole thing on a piece of plywood to keep the bees in? I'm planning to use a furniture dolly to move the whole thing at once. What else should I be thinking about? I've never moved bees before...this should be an adventure. I'd love to learn from others' experiences before the big move!

11. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

I am doimg this same thing tomarrow myself.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The newer the beek, the more complicated the move.

Old timers just pick up the hive, take it where they want it, and set it down.

13. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

I moved mine at night in the heat of summer 14 miles and left the screened bottom board open for ventilation-taped shut the top entrance and closed the main entrance with rolled up screening. We already had everything set up at the new location so the whole process only took less than 2 hours. After we set them up I opened up the entrances and when we checked the next day they were zipping back and forth like they'd always been there.