Moving a hived swarm?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Jun 13, 2013.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

We put a swarm into a hive on Jun 4th...I threw some stuff together(old piece of plyboard, medium super...) and they appear to be doing well. I ordered some new supplies(like a SBB, extra medium supers)...and got some concrete blocks to raise them up off the ground. Hubby wondered about moving them 20 or so feet from where they are now? I really don't want to disturb them more than they have been all ready...will this bother them too much, confuse them, set them back? Also I would like to put the med super on the SBB(on top of the concrete blocks....my only fear is that the Queen will fall out during the transfer(or get smashed..eek?) I know you can't answer all the questions, but any insights? Thanks, Halley

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would smoke them LIGHTLY and look for eggs and larva. If you find brood, do what you want. Move them, then set the super on the bottom board. If you don't find brood, wait a week and move them when you do.

3. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

+1 with what iddee said...

Also, I will add...set the new area up completely before making the move, so all you have to do is set the brood box on the SBB, When I make moves, I seal them up well after dark, make the move as gently as possible, and reopen the hive. I also try to make sure there is rain in the forecast for the next day or two. I believe this helps them "stay home" so to speak, then reorient easily a couple days later. Leave the plywood, or whatever you are using as a bottom board at this point propped up against the hive so any remaining bees on that can walk back in, then take it away the next day. Take your time, and be gentle.
    Or....You can relocate them as they sit, then make the change to the new bottom board at a later date once they have settled back in. Truly, up to you. Either way, I still suggest waiting for some inclement weather headed your way for the next day or two after the move.
    Good luck!

4. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Thanks for the tips...my SBB is on back order so I have some time to think about it.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would move them now and let them be orienting to the permanent spot while waiting on the SBB.

6. Lburou

Lburou Member

Some leaves on a small branch just in front (almost blocking) the entrance at the new location will also aid their reorientation.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

As Iddee has stated make sure that the queen is laying and there is brood to anchor and keep the bees attracted to the hive. Moving a hive when there is no brood could cause the bees to abscond.