moving bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by edcisco, Oct 31, 2009.

1. edcisco

edcisco New Member

I have a chance to buy an established hive now(Nov 1) and would have to move it approx 25 miles. If I strap the boxes together and put screen wire over the entrance, is it safe to move them when the temperatures are 50 to 60 degrees? Or do I need to do something else?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would say you would be just fine, get them in the morning or late evening to get the most of the foragers that will be flying.

You are only talking 30 to 45 minute ride including loading and unloading. Do not dilly dally around. Have you a place already made to put them when you arrive at the new location.

If you are concerned abuot them over heating pull the top covers off and put screen wire over the top also.

Good luck with it and you can plug any holes with duct tape also.

G3

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at the stated temperatures I would not really worry about overheating the least bit. if you leave your truck running as you load the hive the vibration (produced by the engine) has the tendency to calm 'the girls' quite a bit.

duct tape, some old screen wire and a stapler are almost essential for plugging any leaks. I do that and also keep a nursury shade screen cloth for coving the hive to entrap any girls that wander outside the box. the latter likely is less essential but it does make me feel better. if the hive is excessively tall I would definitely secure the box to one another... I think you mentioned straps and I use hive staple to essentially do the same thing.

the largest casualty present from one hive is the tipping of the hive and sliding over a metal truck bed. a plywood sheet placed on the truck bed will limit sliding and you will need a good deal of rope to limit any 'leaning tower of pizza effect'... mostly notable on turns or any sharp bends in the road.

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I think you will do fine.

I always prefer to move hives very early morning. I close them up and get there by daylight. A better situation than having problems in the dark.

Good luck.

5. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Bungee cables work wonderfully for strapping hives to a pickup truck bed. That is, if you have something solid to attach the hooks at the end of the cables to.

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I wonder how that trip went..... :confused:

7. edcisco

edcisco New Member

Unfortunately, someone beat me to them! But thanks for the info--I can use it later!

8. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I always find that when something does not go a certain way, there is usually a reason. No big religious thing, just a kind of "things always work out for a reason" type thing.

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

LOL Baby Beek... bungies??!!!! No wonder y'all can't ever move bees without coming inside screaming about those mean bees, they don't want to bungie jump!!! :chased:

What you were told to use, my sweet little baby beek, was RATCHET STRAPS. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now, mama, don't you go picking on my baby. Everybody makes typos. :p