Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still new here and won't have my bees till the first week of May. A family friend lives about 1 mile away and grows a fair amount of alfalfa, timothy, and clover hay. Should I think about putting a hive at his place or should I establish them here and do it next year?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
How many hives are you planning to set up?

If just two, I would be inclined to keep them close to one another. Now if you have four, I would put two in each spot.
Always good to have hives close for comparison reasons or in case you need to shift a frame of brood to help out a weaker colony or indeed if you want to switch hive locations around noon for an added boost.

The other spot sure sounds tempting though, doesn't it?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
They will forage 2 miles if they have to, but it would be better to have them close to the food supply. Moving just two miles away is kind of border line, if you start them at home and later move them 2 miles down the road, some may or may not find there way back home :confused: . You could try it and see, but i think you would be alright. Jack

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Sorry, went back and reread. One mile wouldn't be far enough,to start at home and move later.Your buddies would be better, but they would do good at your place too. They would burn up more energy flyinging, working your buddies fields, but you may have somthing they like better around your house. :mrgreen: Jack

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Sorry, guys, I have to take a stand here.

If you keep them home, they will work your home area, your friends area, and be where you can care for them regularly.

If you take them to your friends house, they will not get the care they would at home and won't get any more nectar and pollen from your and your friends land then they would if you keep them home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts