Moving bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Eddy Honey, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm still new here and won't have my bees till the first week of May. A family friend lives about 1 mile away and grows a fair amount of alfalfa, timothy, and clover hay. Should I think about putting a hive at his place or should I establish them here and do it next year?

Thanks,
    Ed

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

How many hives are you planning to set up?

If just two, I would be inclined to keep them close to one another. Now if you have four, I would put two in each spot.
    Always good to have hives close for comparison reasons or in case you need to shift a frame of brood to help out a weaker colony or indeed if you want to switch hive locations around noon for an added boost.

The other spot sure sounds tempting though, doesn't it?

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

They will forage 2 miles if they have to, but it would be better to have them close to the food supply. Moving just two miles away is kind of border line, if you start them at home and later move them 2 miles down the road, some may or may not find there way back home :confused: . You could try it and see, but i think you would be alright. Jack

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Sorry, went back and reread. One mile wouldn't be far enough,to start at home and move later.Your buddies would be better, but they would do good at your place too. They would burn up more energy flyinging, working your buddies fields, but you may have somthing they like better around your house. :mrgreen: Jack

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry, guys, I have to take a stand here.

If you keep them home, they will work your home area, your friends area, and be where you can care for them regularly.

If you take them to your friends house, they will not get the care they would at home and won't get any more nectar and pollen from your and your friends land then they would if you keep them home.

6. rast

rast New Member

I have to agree with IDDEE on this one. With a big ESPECIALLY about the care part.

7. geoffkb

geoffkb New Member

I think keeping them close so they can be observed and managed easily is better, especially when you're starting out.