Moving Bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverbee, Jul 1, 2012.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i normally only have to move my bees a short distance, within 5 miles. this time i need to move a couple of single deeps about 1 hour and 10 minutes ( or at most 1 hr 20 min) drive saturday morning. single deeps, standard bottom board, standard inner cover and outer cover. the hives will be rachet strappped and loaded in the bed of a pickup truck.

for short distances, i have sort of a homemade moving screen i place on the front, and would normally use the inner cover with the vent hole taped over with window screen, and nailed down with a couple nails and the whole works ratchet strapped. (no outer cover on).

it is going to be 90 degrees + when they are moved saturday morning. my question is, in this heat, would the regular opening in the inner cover suffice with the moving screen on the front, or do i need to cut a bigger hole in the inner cover, for ventilation? :confused:

a similar pic of my moving screen:

moving screen.jpg

2. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

riverbee, I moved a TBH two months ago, temps were in the 80's, but I moved them at night. The only ventilation they had was two 1" holes on the front of the hive, which I taped a piece of screen over. This move was 3 1/2 hours.
    I had no problem whatsoever.
    Robert

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They will be fine just as you have them if you will load them with the back of the hive against the cab end of the truck bed.

KEEP IT MOVING>>>>>>>>

The wind blowing over the cab will hit the tailgate and circle under and back, blowing into the entrance. As long as you don't stop for more than a couple minutes, you will have a cooler hive when you get there than when you started.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks robert and thank you iddee,
    and iddee, i did plan on placing them against the cab, and keep moving. the heat and humidity here now has been incredible, topping out at 104 today, temps to continue. i have loaded nucs in the back of the truck and driven 3 1/2 hrs with wide open entrances....bees flying out once in awhile at slow downs or stop signs :lol:, but have not transported in this kind of heat. i appreciate the reply!

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Riverbee, I guess I could be called a novice, but I did move 2000 hives from Appleton, Wi. to Orlando, Fl. every fall and back every spring for a few years. We didn't close them in, either.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

NOVICE iddee???!!! i think not :rotfl:
    kinda funny when you watch them shoot out the back of the truck at a slow down or a rolling stop sign! oops lost another one, oops some more!!!!

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Not so funny when you stop for fuel and there are 20,000 in a cloud around the truck. :???: :shock: :grin:

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well, what can you expect iddee, geez, the girls are just like us, they gotta pee sometime :lol:

it's just getting them rounded back up :rotfl:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That's one more of those amazing things about bees. If you start the semi out in 1st gear, they will nearly all gather back onto the truck before you get out of the parking lot. I have arrived in Orlando with what looked like a half dozen swarms attached to the truck. Just stragglers hanging onto each other.

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

they are amazing iddee, and i always wondered about that, they go back to the last place, or close to the last place they recognize and stay there? i say this from moving bees, not like you, and from working some trucking accidents where bees and hives were spilled across a freeway, and if they weren't clustered on what was left of the broken and smashed equipment they were gathered on the semi itself. (disoriented). when we managed to salvage hive equipment back onto the truck there were swarms of bees clustered, hanging on as the semi pulled out and traveled down the highway, those drivers said they had swarms of bees still clustered at the destination.