Moving hive question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by RE Jones, Nov 7, 2011.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I have a guy who wants me to put a hive on four acres of blueberries. I have a small hive that I just started in a lang hive. They are working on the third frame and have been there a week. They are in a shallow box.
    Would these be a candidate to put out there in a month?
    I plan on moving them at night, screen the front entrance and load them up and put them on the field.
    I'm thinking that they would build up on these berries. I also plan to check on them about every week and put a deep box under them when they fill the shallow.
    I'm not really worried about honey production at this time, just want the hive to fill out.
    He wants to see if the bees increase his production and I want to see if they will fill out.
    Robert

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With that small a hive, they won't help his production. You need 8 deep frames of brood & bees per acre.

They will require more attention from you than they would at home. If you work them properly, you will have spent enough money in gas and time to buy two full size hives.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Providing hives for pollination is a business deal between the beek and the farmer. Neither one wants to lose on the deal. With a hive as small as you are talking about (even in another month it's not likely to be really strong enough for pollinating 4 acres) the farmer won't get much service from it, and Iddee already pointed out what your expenses will be.
    The result will be that the farmer will not get a better yield and will think that bees are unimportant for pollination. Wait another year, till you can give him real service.

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Robert are you sure that guys blueberries are blooming next month?

The ones I've grown and the 3 large blueberry farms near me always bloom in Feb.

5. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

This is what he is saying. I'm going over to talk to him in detail on Friday morning.
    I've got several plants around my house and I think one is retarded, it's blooming now. I've been talking to it, trying to convince it that it needs to wait for a couple of months, but it is doing no good.
    I will talk to him Friday, as I need more details on what he does and what chemicals he uses before I put any bees on his property, if I do.
    As to what I'm told, I may not have any to put on his berries, unless I move my TBH out there.
    Robert

6. rast

rast New Member

My 1 1/2 cents worth. All above are right,(maybe he has some winter hybrid) plus blueberry's aren't a bees favorite bloom. Oh, they will work them, don't get me wrong on that. But, the bloom hangs upside down so to speak and is more difficult for the bee. One blueberry grower up here will only pay for bumble bees. Also be ready to accept the fact that you will loose some hives when using them for pollination.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

just to add to Rast well stated concerns..... a lot of pollinated plants produce little nectar and sometime the pollen is of marginal value. a lot of folks who start off pollinating also experience increased death loss. don't know (speculating for certain) but some feeding and adding pollen patties might reduce this kind of problem <I suspect lack of diversified pollen and therefore unbalance amino acids may be part of the problem.

I am hearing a lot of folks from Almonds to Watermelons to Blue Berries tell me that they under estimate death loss in pollination situations. The current buzz is that you need not only worry about insecticides being sprayed but also fungicides and herbicides <the synergistic effects betweens these three 'cides' is unknown and extremely difficult to measure.