moving hive questions

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by divkabee, Nov 18, 2012.

1. divkabee

divkabee New Member

I need some advice on moving a hive.

It's in a location that needs to be mowed regularly, but they attack the tractor and driver each time. So, I want to move them to a different location on the same property where it doesn't have to be mowed. So here's some questions I have.

There are some filled honey supers. Should I harvest that honey and let them settle down a few days before moving, to make the move lighter?

Should I wait till a cold week (say 40s) so that they'll stay inside a few days? I'm concerned about them returning to the old site (a few hundred feet away) - will they do this anyway for a few days, then adjust to the new location?

What are some tips on securing the hive boxes together for the journey? Access to the hive is limited and I may have to use a small cart to move them instead of a truck, and over bumpy ground.

Thanks in advance.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

For securing you can use ratchet straps or hive staples. It would definitely be easier without the honey supers on. I wouldn't move them when it is cold. Screen them in at night before the move and when you remove the screen (in the dark), pile a bunch of branches, grass, etc. in front of the hive that they must navigate through to get out. This will let them know that something different is going on and they will reorient to the new location. If it is warm they will eventually figure it out. If it is too cold, any that are confused and fly back and forth between locations will not last long.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Before moving, think about this. Since it doesn't need mowing, is it shady? Bees in shade in Texas will likely be overcome with SHB and die out. Bees any where there are SHB should be in full sunlight.

4. divkabee

divkabee New Member

Iddee --- the location is partly shady, but the hive is 3 years old (same location) and going gangbusters (prolific honey producers).

Perry --- thanks for the tips.

5. divkabee

divkabee New Member

Iddee --- I misread your question. The place I want to move them gets more sun than where they are at now.

6. divkabee

divkabee New Member

The reason the other location doesn't need mowing is that it's allowed to grow wild all year, then when it's really cold, we mow it once a year.