Moving hives, Given a choice......

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Apr 20, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I hope to move whats remaining of my three yards in May when they get a little stronger. They are over an hours drive away, and in three seperate yards, The idea of driving there and arriving in the evening, waiting for them to all "come home', screening them in, loading, hours drive home in the dark, and then unloading, really isn't as appealing as it once was. :roll:
    I am thinking maybe I'll wait for a really crappy day with plenty of rain, and move them then, during the middle of the day. Anyone ever done a midday move in bad weather?

2. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I have but not bee's .... and the TV got wet...

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

Lol, I've only moved a hive from the paint bench to the stand. Perry, I can't relate. Although this Wednesday I saw an actual bee farm in operation and was amazed. They had a trailer load of hives fixing to move to another yard and put supers on. They didn't seem to worry about the tens of thousand of bees hovering over the trailer.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You will lose a few foragers, no matter when you move them. Some even stay out all night, so moving after dark won't get them all. Just pick the best time for you that most are home and DO IT.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Never moved hives in the rain, never was keen on working in the rain.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you will lose less if you move them when the weather is still a bit chilly <not freezin' cold like you Tundra Division member enjoy but cool enough to make them want to cluster.

this last little cool front here would have been a great time to move bees.

in warmer weather leave a catcher hive to catch any drift and move them at whatever time suits you.

7. mrbee

mrbee New Member

Done it many times. Other than getting soaked its not bad. I usually like to move as many as I can right at daybreak if its going to be a nice day. Do you use a bee net?

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No, I have a 3/4 ton pickup with a tall cap that has screened windows. Just checked the weather forecast and we have rain happening until Friday! :shock: If my hives were a little stronger I'd be tempted to do a day move.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I don't understand why you want to wait--are there better foraging areas in your old yards than in the place where you want to move them to?
    All told, it's easier to move hives when they are light than when heavy. I don't know about your back, but for me that's a major consideration. :eek:ldtimer: