Moving hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by CatskillHoneyBee, Mar 4, 2014.

1. CatskillHoneyBee

CatskillHoneyBee New Member

When moving an established hive more than 2 miles, can the entrance be opened immediately? Or should there be a waiting period. I think that opening right away would be OK being the hive is 2 miles away. I assume that the same rule would pertain to a NUC that is more than 2 miles? Thanks....

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

first an odd fact followed by what I do followed by a general observation of new beekeepers...

some years back someone did a experiment and discovered that the vibration of a running motor on a truck has the tendency to calm the bees in a hive. < so first off I would suggest that you keep your motor runnin'.

when I move bees I set them down, then allow them to set there for a very short time (as long as it takes to empty the remainder of the load) and then pull the plug on the entry.

you can keep bee confined for much longer periods of time than most new beekeeper might image.... as long as you have no heating issues the bees are not really adversely effect by being locked up for days.

3. CatskillHoneyBee

CatskillHoneyBee New Member

Thank you Tecumseh...I believe we have met. A few years ago I talked with you about bees, you were at the farmers market in Delhi NY. Deb

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Hey Deb. I do remember us meeting. Hopefully our New York relatives will allow us to come and revisit your lovely community sometime in the future.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I would feel better if the hives was at lease 3 or more miles away, 2 miles could be iffy. Jack

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Well Jack makes a good point and certainly time of day and geography might play on this consideration. at two miles if the terrain was right you might have some overlapping of benchmarks ( that is things 'the girls' commonly use to know where they are). in hilly landscapes or if you set down a hive at the very end of the day these possible problems are likely to be minimal.