Moving hives...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ktbearpaws, Aug 15, 2010.

1. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

I may be moving to a new home soon.... i was wondering what I would need to do to move my hives and how difficult a task it will be?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

In my opinion, it is the most over rated action in beekeeping.

I do nothing more than set the hives on my pickup at dark, with the entrance facing the rear and the hive against the front of the bed. I then drive to my destination and unload.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i agree with iddee. I have seen (me included) people worry more about moving a hive than focusing on the things the should be in the hive. If your planning a cross country move You might consider selling them and rebuilding at the new location if it is just across town load them up after dark and go the the new location

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Hello KT, I recently moved one hive from Colorado to Tulsa Ok. this past Feb. I went out the evening before leaving and placed a #8 screen over the entrance, then as I had no hive staples I used a 2x2x16 with a 1 inch notch(basicly cut a 2x2 into an "L bracket" with pilot nail holes drilled in both sides. I placed the brackets in opposing corners and nailed the hive bodies togeather, then put a 1 inch ratchet strap around the bodies just to be sure.Loaded them up in my truck the next morning and headed east. Of course if your still in a single box it makes it easy. Jim

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bsweet, If you move them across state lines, a permit is required for most states. I wouldn't advertise it much if you didn't have the permit. That is if OK. requires one.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

kansas doesnt require a permit to move bees in or out of state. We dont even have a state bee inspector. I dont think oklahoma requires a permit either. Not sure about colorado.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK. If not, maybe the post will help a newbie in a state that does.

8. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I belive OK. only requires a permit if they are moved for pollination. But a very good point Iddee

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I will make up for Iddee conservative use of words.. although I think his sentiment is well stated.

make certain first that you have the bottom board firmly (hive staples are what i use) attached to the lower hive body and that the equipment is tight. screen the entrances and have some duct tape handy to tape off any other gaps. a bit of plywood set into the bottom of the truck bed reduces the tendency for a hive to slide... wood on wood doesn't slide so easy, but wood or metal slides easily. if the hive is tall and heavy you will need some help loading and unloading the hive. in this situation since I am at heart a loner I simply break down the hive into parts with migratory top cover on the top and bottoms and then I load the parts.... in very hot weather in place of tops I use double screens. tall hives have more a tendency to tip so make certain you have ample rope to secure the hive from tipping. a large bit of screen or green house sunscreen is a nice bit of insurance.. likely doesn't really accomplish much more than making you feel better at stop lights and stop signs.

any state with a truck weight inspection station will also 'require' a health permit for any livestock you have on your vehicle. if you pass by one of these during working hours and the hive is visible then you are quite likely to be chased down the road. stopped and asked for papers. in the worst case situation the state agricultural inspection boys can leave you setting by the side of the road for days.

10. solarbee

solarbee New Member

Hey guys, I have a similar problem to Iddee's except I don't have the bees yet. I think I ordered a package from MI which was originally going to go to Indiana and may now be going to Illinois. What are the rules for moving bee packages??

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would call Debbie or Kenny and ask them. They could tell you quickly what you are asking.

http://www.indianabeekeeper.com/

Scroll to bottom right of page.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

see your other post

13. bamabww

bamabww New Member

One thing I learned about moving the bees after dark: if for some reason while loading or unloading, the bees find a way to get out of the hive, they'll crawl up your pants leg and believe me, that's one place you don't want them. :eek::eek: