Moving Honey Super?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hairNhoney, Oct 19, 2010.

1. hairNhoney

hairNhoney New Member

This year was my first year collecting honey from my hive. I have my hive on a farm and moved the honey super to my home to extract the honey. This was a tedious and heavy process to do alone. I was wondering if anyone knows of a device I could use to lift the Super (like a mechanic would user a engine hoist).

Thank You,
    HairNHoney
    BeeKeeping Newbie

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Take an empty box with you. Remove one frame at a time, brushing and/or shaking the bees off as you do. Never lift a full super. If you have to walk a ways with it, put five frames in each box.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like Iddee said, myself i like to use a five frame nuc box so they don't slide around and fall out. Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there use to be a manufacturer that made a 'moving dolley' like device that you could strap single box to the dolley and lift the boxes. I personally saw one of these perhaps 20 years ago, but never in a bee yard. I suspected at the time that they might be handy, but were not really made for anyone with commercial leanings. it was likely a poorly executed idea.

I personally would favor Iddee approach which is much more $ friendly.

5. Murrell

Murrell New Member

If I may;
    I haven't posted on the bee boards in over a year, but still read them.

First off a full deep super can weigh 80 or so lbs..
    A Illinois, or medium will weigh 50 or 60 lbs, which I use, and they are still too heavy !

Murrell
    Rolla,Mo. half way between St.Louis & Fair Grove

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Murrell, good to hear from another Show me neighbor. I'm 72 years old and starting to notice the weight of the full supers, i had one hive four deep boxes high setting on concrete blocks and a hive stand this summer, the top deep was full of honey and i used the fume board and when i broke it loose and pulled it off, i almost went to my knees :confused: No more deep honey supers for me, isn't it funny how we think getting old only happens to other people. :lol: Jack