Moving Koi and other fish stuff

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Gypsi, Oct 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Bob, this is for you.

I think I have a pic of the tank on the truck somewhere. Since I will have to move some koi next week, I will have one then. This is a 110 gallon stock tank, 4 ft long, about 30 inches wide at the top. Much more comfortable than a plastic bag.

[​IMG]

DBLBee likes this.
  2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

I dont see any picture??? do you use any air stones to help keep the water oxygenated ?
    how many koi and what size can you move in a tank that sized?

3. Gypsi

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] I don't know where my image went. I can 5 koi that are 2 feet long, the wind helps keep the water oxygenated, if I were going to move them in warm weather I would use a battery powered air pump with stones for a 5 hour drive. But in cold weather they use very little oxygen. I have an air stone in the pictured tank because I took them out of the pond about 10 days ago and it's hot down here. [​IMG]

4. Gypsi

If you can't see the image now, click the letters IMG and they will take you to photobucket, where the picture is stored.

I drilled holes in the rim of the tank, and I use wire ties and plastic hardware cloth to keep the fish in the tank. I also never fill it more than half way

roadkillbobb likes this.
  5. Gypsi

6. roadkillbobb

I see just 1 picture, its a close up of the mesh on top but doesnt show the tank itself...
    after some more research im going to get bigger transport plastic bags, like 30 inch x 36 inch and fill with pure oxygen, they transport large koi around the world this way, so a 4 or 5 hour trip should not be an issue..

7. Gypsi

I could take a picture of my tank showing the tank, truck and fish in it, but I think this pic will help more. Exactly the tank I use. I drill about 8 to 12 holes around the rim, not near the edge, but where they will be strong, just wide enough for wire ties to go through. I use plastic hardware cloth from lowes or home depot to strap over the tank after fish are in, using wire ties to attach. I drop air stone under the edge before tying it down.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-stock-tank-110-gal

8. Gypsi

9. roadkillbobb

I think with all the sloshing of water it would be almost empty by the time I drove 4 hours..LOL
    unless you made a solid lid with the center cut out for the mesh, so the water would just roll back into the tank...

10. Gypsi

you don't fill it full and you drive a lot more carefully, because it doesn't just slosh up, it will pull your truck from side to side, etc. I leave about a foot at the top with no water, that helps a lot. You are driving on the highway that isn't a lot of stops and starts. You plan your route to minimize. I've done it I don't know how many times, 486 miles is the farthest I've moved fish, from Fort Worth to Clovis, NM. I did that move at night

11. roadkillbobb

I ordered 30 x 40 inch 3 ply industrial poly bags to transport the big koi.....I double bag and seal each bag separately and put them in plastic containers and carry extra water and a tank of oxygen just in case I have to rebag any of the fish, I moved alot of smaller fish from 3 to 8 inches and never had issue, so im thinking the bigger koi wont be either..im thinking early spring when its still cool out...

12. Gypsi

well let me know how it goes. I'd do in winter

13. roadkillbobb

I guess they are more dormant in the winter, but my winter is WAY COLDER than your winter...my spring is probably your winter...LOL

14. Gypsi

15. MD_Plants

MD_Plants New Member

Hey this is my kind of thread! Im a huge fish keeper and have years of experience! I would personally still use a battery operated air pump, as the wind will not really do anything for oxygen purposes. You can also throw in some handfuls of live plants (For this i suggest anacharis or hornwort, its fast growing and super cheap anywhere). As for using bags, we now use a thing called "Breather bags" to ship and move fish/inverts. You dont need (and shouldnt put) any air in the bag, as it lets CO2 out and O2 in by itself. A tub is the best next option for larger fish, but you definetly need a lid ino. I used to do hundreds of trips with fish in an open, but low tank, and then just once a deer popped out and i had to slam my breaks...

16. Gypsi

I could see where a deer would be a problem. I went over some really rough railroad tracks once without a lid on the tank, but I have a truck bed net that kept the fish over the tank when I could see them in my rear view mirror, I didn't lose any.

He's going to be moving in cold New York weather, oxygen use by the fish when the water is near freezing is near zero, they are dormant, so i don't see an air pump being terribly necessary.

17. roadkillbobb

I am going to use bags to transport, I bought from uline 30 inch x 40 inch 3 mil bags, and I double bag and fill with pure oxygen. I was thinking if I got motivated enough that this coming sunday I would transport them, too much more into the winter ill have to chop through ice maybe..so far its been a little warmer than usual( well for the northeast that is)...
    using the bulk tank for me doesnt make sense, I would have to buy one and set it up and I am going up and down some decent mountains, so sloshing would be a problem, for you guys on flat land thats not an issue...

18. roadkillbobb

I looked up those breather bags, the largest size I could find was 14 x 19 inches from kordon..it would be hard to fit a 24 inch fish inside...at least in 1 piece....

19. MD_Plants

MD_Plants New Member

Well, I just came back in from getting measurements and removing the unused frames... I was astonished by the lack of honey, and the fact there was no brood. The bees went through 96 ounces of 1:1 sugar water in 10 days. I took some pictures if they work. I believe I got a picture of the queen. Only one frame was full front and back with bees, while the other two only had bees on one half. It's hard to stay optimistic when seeing it look like this...

@roadkillbobb I made a 10-pound bag of sugar into fondant pre-made for when its colder. I will definitely have to keep it in there full time.

20. MD_Plants

MD_Plants New Member

Keeps saying the image is too large. Any ideas?