Moving plans

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Can you screen the entrance of a hive shut for 24 hours and then move a hive and will that force the field workers to reorient the hive when they come out? I need to move 8 hives about 2 miles and I dont have a place 5 miles away to bring them to 1st.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Just move them. There won't be a problem. Screen them at night, move them the next morning.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

ditto on Iddee's advise. No wait let me make a deal with you. Going to give you a chance to make some serious cash. Remember a guy that dresses like a duck that goes by Rat wouldnt lead you down the wrong path so stick with me on this one. Move them and I will give you 10 cents for every field bee that returns to the old location. You give me 10 cents for every field bee that returns to the new location. Let me go talk to the banker so I can cover my losses :D :Dancing:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

As above:
    2 miles is usually sufficient but if you want to play it extra safe, just throw some branches or leaves or something out front of the hives so that when they first come out they will realize that something is different and will reorient themselves.

P.S. - I'll up that offer to 11 cents! ;)

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe my bees are more stubborn but I would be skeptical about moving them that way. But you situation seems to be that you have no choice SO....
    Make sure to leave an empty hive or nuc at the original location to catch those who don't want to move. At night, take them to the new location and hope that they "relocate" after a day or two.
    If you want, count them before sending them off, so you can make your claim from River or Perry.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Use the reduced opening and install a turnstile?

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you do that, I fear you'll create mass crowding and trampling conditions. You might not be able to collect on dead bees. :dontknow:

8. rast

rast New Member

Ditto IDDEE, but do obstruct the entrance to make them reorient.
    That said, I have moved them 1/4 mile with obstructed entrance with no problem and moved them 2 miles and had half back the next day.