Mulsum

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Walt B, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Has anyone made Mulsum?

I thought it was a form of mead, but found out that it is simply honey added to wine and chilled.

The recipes I've found range from 3 tablespoons to a bottle of dry white wine, to 200ml to a bottle of white or red wine (sounds awfully sweet!), to 4 oz. added to a bottle of meduium dry white wine. :confused:

Was wondering if anyone has tried making the stuff and how it turned out? If anything ever blooms here and we get honey, I think I'll try making some.

Walt

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

So, I think in nearly 3 years, nobody has tried Mulsum.

Mulsum is a dessert wine made by the Romans. It issimply honey added to wine. Many recipes are posted above, but I found that 2.5 to 3 ounces (fluid) added to an inexpensive bottle of white wine ($3 Sauvignon Blanc from the big box store on the edge of town) does the trick. Of course, you can add wine to your taste. After it has chilled, pour a glass and, for the "wow" factor, gently pour a little red wine into the glass. The red wine will "float" on top of the mulsum.

I can't upload a photo, maybe I've exceeded my limit of memory? Anyway, take my word for it, it's impressive!

Walt

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

FWIW, I have to change browsers from MS Explorer to Chrome or Foxfire to load photos...

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

OK, I'm trying Firefox to display the photo...hope it works:

Mulsum.jpg

Walt

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

Looks like a great drink there, have to try one soon.

‚ÄčKen

7. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

We tired Mulsum at our dinner party last night. Once I learned how to layer the wines, it was a huge success.

Has Mulsum always traditionally been served with Red Wine layered on top?

8. Walt B

Walt B New Member

No, I don't believe so. I just thought it was cool.

Walt

9. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

Very cool. The sweet and sour aspect really brings out the contrasting taste...rich and flavorful. I will be bringing some to this years Christmas Eve party.

10. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

11. Walt B

Walt B New Member

That looks wonderful. The red on top certainly gives it a WOW!

The winery down the road from us (http://www.wacowinery.com) says that the Mulsum is their best seller, and that's where I got the idea. They have recently sold controlling interest of the winery to a group of investors, but Ulf and Inga-Lil, the original owners, will stay and continue to make wine. I'm sure Mulsum will be on their list. They grow a Blanc du Bois grape and that's probably the white they use for the Mulsum. The cheap white from the big box store is fine with me. :lol:

Walt