Multi use tank

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ApisBees, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Multi use tank

Because of the length of this post I well break it up and distribute the pictures amongst them.

I built this tank from 2 army-cooking pots that were given to me after using the forklift to unload heavy items and pallets after the army camp down sized and tore down some buildings. Surplus Herby’s bought every thing and had an army surplus sale. Spotted these 2 nice big pots and the design formed in my head that they would make a very good multi use double boiler. He asked what I wanted for unloading with the forklift and II countered with what do you want for those to pots. Deal Done. Best 15 minute’s worth of my time.

201.jpg

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

[h=1]Design and Build[/h] Both pots had bolt on handles so the handles on the small pot was removed and holes were drilled thru the top of the larger tank to support the smaller tank.
    Both pots had side drains in them. Drilled a hole in the bottom of the small pot and another out the side of the large pot for a bottom drain. I drilled another hole in the side of the large hole to line up with the side hole in the small pot. The pots are ¼†thick so used flange brackets held on with taped screw holes into the pot. Installed a 1500-watt 115V hot water heater element and have and hot water heater temperature control strapped to the side of the tank to control the temperature.
    202.jpg

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Honey Sump

This tank is used as a honey sump to heat the honey so it flows easily for pumping and straining. The temperature is set at 100 Deg F. The honey is pumped of the bottom and the wax is skimmed of the top. As long as you don’t drop the honey level to low about 2†very little wax ends up in the honey filter.
    203.jpg

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

[h=1]Wax Melter[/h] After extracting and the cappings have been spun out the wax is dumped in the tank and the temperature is raised to 160 Deg F. As the wax melts and the honey settles on the bottom and with the melted wax on top, the honey is drained off the bottom until wax flows out also. The wax is allowed to harden and returned to the tank. Once all the wax is liquid, the wax is drawn off the side hole 2†up from the bottom. And into bread pans. Only the last of the wax that is drained of the bottom is pore on water for the debris in the bottom.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

[h=1]Wax Press Melter[/h] I have a screw handle that goes over the tank and allows the hot pressing of old brood comb. I put an expanded metal with spacers on the bottom of the press plate as well as another expanded metal plate with spacers under to allow the wax to escape. Old brood comb is placed in a sack and allowed to heat till the wax has melted. The handle is cranked down squeezing the wax out of the cocoons

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Candle Dipping Tank

Wax is placed back into the tank for dipping candles. I dip 5 racks with 6 pair on a rack per session, then more wax has to be added and allowed to melt before more candles can be dipped.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Honey Reliquefier

It is used to melt honey stored in pails by putting water in the tank and placing the large pails of honey to liquefy at 90 Deg F.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

[h=1]Honey Press[/h] The tank could be easily used as a honey press also by placing the comb in a bag and using the screw handle to crush and press the honey out.

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Hot Water

The tank water jaclet is filled by poring water in the space between the two pots and when hot water is needed for washing it can be drained of from the chrome tap at the bottom of the tank and add more cold water in the top.

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

[h=1]Pump and Straining[/h] [FONT=&quot]The top pail has a hole in the lid and the lid is used to hold the straining clothes. It also has a hole cut in the bottom so the honey can flow into the bottom pail. I have a wood top made to sit on the 500 Lb bottling tank with a hole so the strainer bucket friction fits only hanging in 2 inches Non of the fittings are glued to make it easier for cleaning and reassembling if filing in to the larger bottling tank. The switch on the pump is wired so the pump can be ran in either direction this allows the cooler honey to be pushed back into the sump tank to be reheated before being pumped for straining, It also empties the vertical lines of honey so the honey doesn’t crystallize in them. It makes it so you don’t have honey draining when disassembling the lines.
    [/FONT] 204.jpg

11. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

[h=1]Extractor[/h] This is an old A. I. Root 20 frame with a manual adjust variable speed disk drive system. The outside reels have expanded metal around them and there are 3 plates that fit in the bottom so the wet cappings can be placed in it and the extractor used as a wax spinner.
    I picked it up in the early 1990’s along with an uncapping plain and electric knife for 200 lbs of honey. At that time honey was selling for a $1.00 a pound.

205.jpg

12. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Sweet little set up you put together :thumbsup:

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I think we have another Red Green in our midst! :thumbsup:

They still have much of the old army camp still around Keith? There were still a lot of barracks and stuff the last time I was there.

14. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

They took out all the housing barracks on the west side of Commonage Rd and the camp is only used for cadet training camp in the summer. and the occasional bass for high altitude training in the Kootney's. There was never heat in the buildings so there was mold, mice ect. Now they set up tents for the cadets. they use to have 1500 cadets here for 6 week in the summer now the course has been shortened to 2 weeks with only 500 kids in each. hardy notice they are in town now, back when they stayed all summer every where you looked you seen green camouflage.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I remember those 1500 cadet summers. :???: There were a few dust ups as I recall.

16. Marbees

Marbees Member

Ingenuity at it's best:smile: Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

17. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Apis:

I am an engineer, but I am not in your class as a practical engineer. What you have done with this old tank is nothing short of amazing. It's easy to see how you are so successful in beekeeping, or anything else you chose. Good Show!