Multiple stings

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Dakine, May 16, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

I was working on my "wall hive" and I was stung on my forehead thru the veil. Right away other bees came to the same area to sting me. Do stings odors bring other bees to sting you in the same area?
    If so would washing the area prevent more stings?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Yes.
    Whenever I get stung, first try and remove stinger asap and then "smoke" that area to mask the alarm pheromone that has been released by it! Don't have time to bother washing the area, smoke does the trick.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Smoke is the way around it... yes you can actually smell it at times , banana scent.

I know of some guys who will smoke themselves before starting work too.

4. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Yes, hard way to learn but not soon forgotten! I saw the "smoke remedy" on a post here a year or so ago and it works; too bad it took 6 hits to the knee for me to figure it out. Side Note: Do not wear jeans with holes in the knee!

5. Tia

Tia New Member

They're attracted to the alarm pheromone. The smoke hides the smell. I carry a small atomizer of alcohol in my carry-all and spray some on a sting. Good for the sting and it kills the pheromone.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I also use the smoke, but I think I'm going to start bringing a small bottle of alcohol (isopropyl, not Jack Daniels) with me.

Walt

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Interesting--on occasion I have smelled it too. The smell reminds me of geranium scent.

8. pturley

pturley New Member

The banana-like smell is isoamyl acetate.

It is also a key artificial flavoring in Banana Taffy and Juicy Fruit gum. Something to keep in mind to be sure!

9. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Never thought about caring my flask of bourbon to work the bee's:wink:, but now I see that it can serve for medicinal purposes :drinks:.

10. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Years ago when I was doing bees in Kauai I'd get multiple stings all over my suit. I'd end up throwing the suit in the wash machine as I couldn't go near the hives without being attacked if I wore it without washing it. I didn't know smoke or alcohol would fix the problem.
    I guess I'll go for the rubbing alcohol in a mister.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

alarm pheromone always attracts attention, which generates more of the pheromone which starts to attract recruits from other hives nearby so yes smoke the stung area ASAP or the bees will smoke you--atleast light you up lol.
    Barry

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Wonder if putting a few drops of Jack Daniels on top of the frames would make the girls nicer or meaner?:grin: Jack

13. pturley

pturley New Member

It makes me meaner... ...that's why I stick with beer (or occasionally a single-malt w/ water).

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Spray them with Drambuie (a whiskey with honey)--it should have an interesting effect.:lol:

15. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Awwww, man, now I want Drambuie.

16. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

As a newbee, it sure is a learning process observing what actions cause what behaviors. I think I am starting to see the warning signs, if I do, I back off or freeze for a moment. Its been working, I guess. Took my first guard bee sting. WOW. I had been reading here and seeing it mentioned in videos. I was thinking "right" you will be able to tell the difference. Stupid too. It was evening and not much activity, I don't even think I saw a bee flying. My wife and I were admiring the hives and she asked which ones were which. I walked across in front of the hives, placing my hand on top of each stack of boxes saying these ones are from this swarm, these ones are from that swarm. I got to the third hive and out came a bee and blasted me on the forearm. About 10 seconds in, I new it was the incredible hulk of bees.

Moral of the story, don't walk in front of the hives........ever. Bad part is, I knew not to do that.

Alcohol may have been a contributing factor.

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

About a month ago i got stung on the right ear, well i tried to ignore it and kept on working bees,only to take three more hits in the same ear. I guess they were saying, Can You Hear Me Now.:lol: Jack

18. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I got my very firs ever sting on my wrist today.. I got the stinger out right away.. smoked the wrist and no other attacks... The sting it self didnt hurt... the hive went away fast ... but the dam itchiness is killing me....lol

19. Zulu

Zulu Member

4 more days itch to come

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Medic says: I got the stinger out right away.. but the dam itchiness is killing me...
    Efmesch recommends: take a look at the new thread on the art of removing a stinger.