musical bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ronsin, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ronsin

ronsin New Member

hi guys.i was sat thinking the other day about the time when i was a young fellow working on a farm <in uk>, the farmer always used to play music to the cows and poultry <still popular today> reckoning that the cows were more content and produced more milk and the chikens more eggs.i was wondering if music would have the same effect on bees . i know that bees are sensitive to vibration so it mayeither calm them or make them aggresive.suppose youd have to find out what music theyd like.possibly flight of the bumble or maybe bee bee king or sting <just the ramblings of old beekeeper past his best>

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Flight of the bumblebee, B B King, or Sting." :lol:

Thanks for starting my day off with a grin ronsin. :mrgreen:

"just the ramblings of an old beekeeper past his best"

Like a fine wine, sounds like you're only beginning to reach your prime. :thumbsup:

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

When Sting retires, will he have to change his name to Stung? :Dancing:

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

My Buckfast bees fly faster when listening to acordian music (maybee it has something to do with bro Adam's german roots) :lol:
    My ontario stock doubles the intake of nectar when listening to Brian Adams music, must be a local thing. :yahoo:

5. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I agitate my bees enough with out going out and playing music. The way I play they might just up and absconde :D

7. Dbure

Dbure New Member

That is an interesting thought there ronsin. Maybe if we installed mini speakers in each hive and piped the music in, we could taylor the music to the taste of each colony. :D

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I myself do think without a doubt that 'my girls' respond to vibration. If you have some doubt about this place a hive with an open entrance on the bed of a running truck and see what happens.

I myself like to humm to 'my girls'. I use to whistle, but they seem to like the humming better.