Mutant Bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Feb 4, 2012.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I saw a documentary about bees last night on cable called Mutant Bees. The law-enforcement officers are training bees to sniff out explosives, monitor air pollution and all kinds of weird stuff. Did anyone else see it? It kind of made me angry. Let the bees live in piece I say. They are having a hard enough time surviving anyway. Thumbs down to science :|

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

What I have seen on this was some experiments done for the military. I dont think we will ever see this go very far. Little harder to get a bee to cooperate. Than a canary in a mine

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    The booger eaters are training bees to sniff out explosives

tecumseh:
    the olfactory capacity of a honey bee is quite incredible. the emphasis in your sentence should be/is 'are training'... not could or should, but ARE. a bit of refreshing you memory on BF Skinner's* operant(sp? behavior should give you something of the possible use and the known uses of this kind of thing.

*BF Skinner is generally given credit for developing 'the brains' behind the very first smart bomb. in this case (dated to WWII) the brains for guiding the bomb was a live pigeon and no one seemed to have lost much sleep or cried over the poor dead birds that did our bidding.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The fact that the title is so obviously a sensationalized creation to boost viewership makes me take the whole thing with a grain of salt. Since when does "training" make someone a "mutant"? Could write a whole psychological essay on this one.

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

6. Americasbeekeeper

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm with science, i would rather see a bee die (that will die in a few weeks anyway) than one of our soldiers if technology could pervent it. Science can be good or bad, depending on what it is and who discovers it first. :confused: Jack.

8. Americasbeekeeper

I cannot confirm or deny if the technology is currently in use because I signed a Non Disclosure Agreement. If I worked for the contractor that actually does the work at Sandia labs and if I told you, I would have to killl you. I like you guys too much to put you out of your misery. You might be able to find some pictures on the Internet where it is in use in the US and other countries for airport and seaport screening. The video is really cool, if there is a video.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

hint hint hint. Please dont shoot me for picking up on the hint. :D :Dancing:

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I wonder if the bees that are supposed to be sniffing out explosives wouldn't also stick out their tongues with the odor of sugar... or pollen, or something along those lines... is the beeswax candle I'm taking to grandma's house going to end up getting me held in a back room of the airport for a few hours while they try to find out what dastardly thing I'm supposedly up to?