My 2011 bee season starts tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Duck1968, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

I am picking up 2 4lb. packages tomorrow and the weather forecast is “Windy. Rain and snow. Colder. Snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches. Highs in the lower 40s.†It looks like it will be a day or two before I can hive them.

1 How long can they be left caged?
    2 where is the best place to keep them?

The weather this spring is driving me nuts. I have 500 acres of corn and soy beans I want to start planting but the ground is still too cold.

Brian

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

#1 until the syrup can runs dry. which is not very long. when you ship packages the largest 'cause' of a package arriving dead is the syrup can simply ran dry.

#2 the book says in a well drained spot (this somewhat impacts some health issues). I would guess in Nebraska a sheltered place that might give the hive some protection from winter storms. I personally like to place them in some corner where animal and human traffic is minimal.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Are you asking where is the best place to keep the package until you can install?

If so, someplace dark and cool, like a basement.

4. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

Thanks

yes that is what I needed to know. I put them in a dark corner of the basement. It looks like tomorrow will be sunny and in the upper 50's so I should be able to install them.

Brian

5. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

It warmed up today and I got the packages installed.