My bee year 2011...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Omie, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Omie

Omie Active Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

wow :goodpost:
    that make me cold looking at the snow. :drinks:
    now I know why I moved south :yahoo:

Don

3. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Nice pic!

We're bummed over here. Checked our 2 hives that we were worried about and they are gone. We've not lost a hive before. I keep wondering what we did wrong and are playing "what if" scenarios in my head...

On the bright side, our two strong hives remain strong and populous.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now you've done it. I'll be on pins and needles waiting for the next update all year. :D

You do have a way of keeping it interesting. Keep it up.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

milapostal writes:
    We're bummed over here. Checked our 2 hives that we were worried about and they are gone. We've not lost a hive before. I keep wondering what we did wrong and are playing "what if" scenarios in my head...

tecumseh:
    why not start a thread and tell us about it (if you have not already). structure your response in what the two groups (living and dead) had in common and any differences. what do you do for disease/pathogen vectors?

6. rast

rast New Member

Wow Omie, I can't even imagine keeping bees in that. I enjoy reading you too.

7. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

Keeping bees in that??? I can't even imagine visiting in that! I'll be right here, where it's rain, at least til Thursday.

8. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Omie,
    Just watched your video...:(

Also, what is that piece of equipment under your hive top? I am interested to know what it is.

Best,

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an Omie snip...
    I knew my one hive was still alive and well without even going to look at them.

tecumseh:
    Omie's bee education is progressing nicely.

10. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Black cars too. Actually, I think any color car looks awful with bee poop. :D

Omie, glad you are optimistic. I guess out one or two hives is pretty good compared to 600 hives. A beekeeper I spoke to two summers ago lost about that number of hives.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Omie's statement followed (>) by tecumseh comment..

I'm going to make some queens and nucs next year, so yes I am optimistic.
    >go for it girl. makes us all proud.

My husband's car is rusty orange- the ideal bk car color! lol
    >it should be a truck but you can remedy that fairly easily with a plasma torch. the smell is the most important aspect of proper bee transportation... it should always smell vaguely of smoke and bee go.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

They would be to wide unless you make your own and then they would have to be four frame nuc's. Or you could use a deep super with a thin divider board to make two nuc's that would fit.By the way, that bee-go works on widow women to, my wife makes me put a drop of it behind my ears when i go into town. and they don't bother me when i go to the feed store. :thumbsup: Jack

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

omie ask:
    Question- will 2 five frame nucs side by side fit neatly under a 10 frame telescoping cover or would they be too wide?

tecumseh:
    it would depend on what you make the sides from. if you wanted them to exactly fit under a telescoping cover it might require some calculation. that is if you construct the nuc boxs with sides that are very thin (say from hardboard or thin plywood) then yes you could make it work. if you go the divided box route I would suggest you obtain some thick cloth (I use canvas or thick cotton fabric and all the old books called for oil cloth) covers. this should be drape over all edges of the top at least two inchs or so. this primarily limits the queenS from crossing the middle divider but also limits small cracks along the top edge so it discourages robbing also.

I don't expect Jack has many friends with that dab of Bee Go behind his ear???

14. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Omie if you get any rain at all don't go for cardboard nucs unless you keep them under a porch roof all summer. We used a few for about two weeks last summer before they literally began disentergrating. They were the "waxed waterproofed" ones too..

15. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

I am not sure about that one. I think a double screen should do it. But I have never tried

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Omie, i've done both full double screen and made a bottomboard with about a 6 in. square double screen in the center giving 3 in. on each side of the divider board. They both worked,but it would depend on the population of the nuc you were taking through the winter.Full screen for more heat (small cluster) Less heat for (large cluster) Less heat.When you have three clusters (1 large on the bottom 2 on top) i found you have to keep a close eye on them to keep condensation down. You have to have good ventilation.Bees can take cold, but cold water and wind will kill them. Jack

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would think double screen also, but the divided box may make that a bit difficult. I would suspect you would need a double screen made just for that box. Closing off he middle divider at the bottom would be tricky. Someone with average carpentry skills should be able to get the job accomplished I would think.

an inner cover with screen would have the same problem as above... that is how do you close off the bottom?

I have never notice much problem with hives set up with double screens. I generally make mine with small hardware wire. I have seen some made with standard window screen and the girls will propolize these up fairly quickly.

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Omie, will your new bees come before the wax moth get busy,or have you put mouthballs or sprayed the frames with Bt Aizawai for protection? Jack

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

you have a good start. I will vote against three things. I would not feed them liquid yet, and I would not rearrange their frames just yet. Also, with the top box the way it is, and the queen likely in the bottom box, I would not reverse deeps. When you know they have started brooding in earnest, I would then rearrange frames up and down, leaving empty cells in the center for her to traverse from one box to the other. You should only reverse when the bottom box is totally empty.

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The sugar water could add water to the hive at a time when condensation is a problem.