My bee year 2012...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Omie, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

I might as well start my brand new year's bee thread for 2012. :wave:
    If you want to see my past threads, look up 'my bee year' threads from 2009, 2010, 2011.
    As of a few weeks ago, I have 3 full size hives and two small 5-frame nucs alive, but no bees are flying much since it's mid winter here.

All of you southern beeks are busy discussing your danged blooming fruit trees and daffodils and bragging about your new drones.
    Just want you to know me and the bees here are pretty well hunkered down and clustered for another month or two yet here up in NY. Nothin' much happening yet, bee-wise. Got our woolies on though!
    Step into my office for a moment and get a feel for what our weather was like this morning... :hi:
    http://youtu.be/MpAm5gVeKp8

2. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Just think, if you were down here, you would be fighting those little brown bugs that I hear you like? :eek:
    You can have that cold weather, I will fight the SHB any day to stay away from what you have for weather. I have been there and do not like it!!

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've been up north where it snowed on thanksgiving and melted in Apr., and I've been in Fl. for the lovebug season. No thanks, either way. I found a happy medium in between. Here we have 4 seasons, and none extreme.

But I sure do enjoy reading Omie's year long threads.

Thank You and keep them coming.

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

Woooohooooooooooo it's finaly here.This is more exciting than the new phone books ariving.[Steve Martin].
    I was getting concerned that you have had enough with your surley readers,and going on strike.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

2009, 2010, 2011... of epic proportions?

I alway look forward to following along with your yearly adventures.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Hard to call anywhere from 1-6 hives 'epic proportions', but ok.... ;)

7. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Even this Texas boy has seen some winters. I lived in Iowa for 5 yrs. Moved back to Texas 3 yrs ago. I now have a new appreciation for days like today where the high was 66. I enjoyed the snow while I was there though. The length of the winter is what killed me.
    :D

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

I'm also looking forward to the 2012 edition. The snow in your video made me cold !
    Jim

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

If it makes you feel better i dont have any drones yet either an it was 39 here this morning :) oh...any you can have ALL OF THESE DANG SKEETERS }:( which were out in force last week.

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

Beautiful office Omie, and good taste too, love that pine flooring of yours. It perfectly matches with your cat, banjos and Beekeeping Forums on your computor screen. :p
    Waiting for your 2012 bee year postings. :thumbsup:

11. Omie

Omie New Member

In stark contrast to yesterday's video above, which featured a beautiful snowfall,
    today's weather was an amazing 55F and sunny- it felt like Spring!
    A good day to look at my hives and see if they are still alive.
    I'm happy to report that as of today Jan 31 2012, all five of my bee colonies are quite alive and seem to be just fine. I had thought the right hand nuc side was dead, but no!- they were flying today happily.
    Here's a video I took at 2 pm today in my backyard, where I have 4 colonies:
    http://youtu.be/Hr07c8DhCdc
    My friend up the road reported to me today that my full sized hive at his house was busy flying today too, looking good!

If both of these little 5 frame nucs make it through the winter bundled like this, I'm going to do this more often. Everyone says you need to have two deeps full of 20 frames to get a hive through the winter here up North, but it'd be great if you could just use one single deep box to get two colonies through. After all, the fewer bees in a colony, the less food they'll need for the winter. If it works for me, then what a great way to help cover any winter losses while taking up very little space! Far better than ordering Spring nucs from somebody else.

Don't want to get too sure of myself though, knowing the biggest month for deadouts in my area is really March, before anything blooms and when the hives are very low on food they've stocked. We'll see! Meanwhile, it was just nice knowing I haven't lost any yet this winter- my odds are better now. :Dancing:

12. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Born in NY and worked outside in that nasty white crap for 12 years thats why I even hate snow on TV, glad to hear all is well with the hives (knock on wood) and yes things are busy as all heck down south, the girls are working like mad. :thumbsup:

13. djdhays

djdhays New Member

It got up to 60 here in eastern Ohio today. Not the first cleansing flight of the year but the busiest and the first one I got to film. Most of the other warm days it's been raining and windy. Today was beautiful and it's supposed to be warm for at least a few more days. This will probably bore you seasoned vets but for someone who didn't expect to have any bees until spring, this is really cool. http://youtu.be/lncTXyGdCNw

14. Omie

Omie New Member

Looks exciting to me, DJD! :thumbsup:

15. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Way to go djdhays.
    I'm about 120 miles west of you (Greenwich) and it was warm here too, but with 20 to 25 mph winds, just like it's been every warm day we've had this winter. :p
    With these winds, not much flying going on.

Omie:
    Once again, another start for a good year. Great videos. Tell your poor forlorn garden that it won't be much longer. :lol:

16. djdhays

djdhays New Member

It was windy off and on here too. I clipped the video because all you could hear was the wind through most of it. I think that's why there weren't more flying. I guess some just had to go more than others.

17. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

the maple flow is on here now....i put out 3 gallons of feed an not a bee to be seen....they are all headed to the swamp for the maples.....by my office 50 miles west i put out a boardman feeder an in just over an hour there was a thousand....location location location :)

18. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

omie
    I just found you on you tube,your my star.
    Don

19. Omie

Omie New Member

Goodness! lol!

20. Omie

Omie New Member

Today got to be 48F and sunny, the bees started to get very active.
    Looks like both my full hives and both my 5frame nucs here at the house are alive and kicking... I had suspected the weaker nuc had died but not so! Plus I have my full hive down the road at a friend's house which is still doing fine.
    That makes so far this winter 5 out of 5 colonies still ok. (knock on wax) No signs of dysentary or anything. Didn't see any pollen coming in today though- i don't think even the skunk cabbages or snowdrops are blooming yet....nothing.

So why was I always believing where everyone writes how in the northeast here you have to have at least two deeps for a hive to survive the winter? :confused:
    From now on I'm going to decide for myself what's possible or not.
    Of course, winter isn't quite over yet... back down to the teens through 30's tomorrow for a while. I'm glad the bees had one day today to do cleansing and water trips.