My bee year 2012...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Omie, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Omie

Omie Active Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Just think, if you were down here, you would be fighting those little brown bugs that I hear you like? :eek:
    You can have that cold weather, I will fight the SHB any day to stay away from what you have for weather. I have been there and do not like it!!

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've been up north where it snowed on thanksgiving and melted in Apr., and I've been in Fl. for the lovebug season. No thanks, either way. I found a happy medium in between. Here we have 4 seasons, and none extreme.

But I sure do enjoy reading Omie's year long threads.

Thank You and keep them coming.

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

Woooohooooooooooo it's finaly here.This is more exciting than the new phone books ariving.[Steve Martin].
    I was getting concerned that you have had enough with your surley readers,and going on strike.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

2009, 2010, 2011... of epic proportions?

I alway look forward to following along with your yearly adventures.

6. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Even this Texas boy has seen some winters. I lived in Iowa for 5 yrs. Moved back to Texas 3 yrs ago. I now have a new appreciation for days like today where the high was 66. I enjoyed the snow while I was there though. The length of the winter is what killed me.
    :D

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

I'm also looking forward to the 2012 edition. The snow in your video made me cold !
    Jim

8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

If it makes you feel better i dont have any drones yet either an it was 39 here this morning :) oh...any you can have ALL OF THESE DANG SKEETERS }:( which were out in force last week.

9. Marbees

Marbees Member

Beautiful office Omie, and good taste too, love that pine flooring of yours. It perfectly matches with your cat, banjos and Beekeeping Forums on your computor screen. :p
    Waiting for your 2012 bee year postings. :thumbsup:

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Born in NY and worked outside in that nasty white crap for 12 years thats why I even hate snow on TV, glad to hear all is well with the hives (knock on wood) and yes things are busy as all heck down south, the girls are working like mad. :thumbsup:

11. djdhays

djdhays New Member

It got up to 60 here in eastern Ohio today. Not the first cleansing flight of the year but the busiest and the first one I got to film. Most of the other warm days it's been raining and windy. Today was beautiful and it's supposed to be warm for at least a few more days. This will probably bore you seasoned vets but for someone who didn't expect to have any bees until spring, this is really cool. http://youtu.be/lncTXyGdCNw

12. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Way to go djdhays.
    I'm about 120 miles west of you (Greenwich) and it was warm here too, but with 20 to 25 mph winds, just like it's been every warm day we've had this winter. :p
    With these winds, not much flying going on.

Omie:
    Once again, another start for a good year. Great videos. Tell your poor forlorn garden that it won't be much longer. :lol:

13. djdhays

djdhays New Member

It was windy off and on here too. I clipped the video because all you could hear was the wind through most of it. I think that's why there weren't more flying. I guess some just had to go more than others.

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

the maple flow is on here now....i put out 3 gallons of feed an not a bee to be seen....they are all headed to the swamp for the maples.....by my office 50 miles west i put out a boardman feeder an in just over an hour there was a thousand....location location location :)

15. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

omie
    I just found you on you tube,your my star.
    Don

16. jb63

jb63 New Member

Way to go on 5 for 5 so far.We got into the low 50's so mine were flying too.I lost 6 out of 18 whitch is thirty percent, same as last year I lost 1 out of 3.I have a bee tree in my yard and they were flying also.

17. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Very nice Omie, Glad to see all is well . Would of thought that Nucs needed to be two story(5 on 5) as far north as you are, very well done. Jim

18. Jim 134

Jim 134 New Member

Looking good I have lost lots of bees in March (In MA) due to survived keep an eye out for the bee raning out of food. Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY BEE Jim 134 :)

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person. I'm overjoyed that all your hives have come through. You worked hard for it.

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    If both of these little 5 frame nucs make it through the winter bundled like this, I'm going to do this more often.

tecumseh:
    I would guess you should see the net benefit of having a very young and potentially productive queen in the boxes.... especially given your location your little experiment has me quite curious as to the end results.

'everyone says' .... evidently everyone is not to be absolutely believed? I am never certain who 'everyone' really is? I do seem to recall that michael palmer promoted the overwintering of nucs in the northern US. matter of fact he encourage me to make up late fall nucs and overwinter here. here I found it can be done in something as small as a 5 frame baby nuc box.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012