My Beemax Hive Opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by james, Jun 1, 2011.

1. james

james New Member

Okay, beekeepers. I've been doing some research on Beemax hives only to find very little on the internet about them. Here is my review: Last July, I lost my queen due to very wet weather in the Pacific NW. Not wanting to lose my bees, I got a new queen. Still, on an uphill battle for the bees through the summer, I ordered a set of Beemax hives just before winter. Like a lot of you, I did research to no end with nothing good about Beemax hives. When the bottom board of the Beemax hive showed up with nothing but a screen on the bottom, I knew that it was a problem so I put a 3/8 inch plywood square to cover for the winter. I also made entrance reducers for the hive out of 3/8 inch plywood. I felt the open front was too much. I made them to match wood hive reducers. Then the best thing I've ever seen was the temperature humidity self-control unit found on beebehavior.com. Wow, what a very smart guy. I made this for my Beemax hive. So, just before the rains hit, I got my bees into the new Beemax hive with the THSC unit on top. I put the reducer on the front and hoped for the best. As of April, people talked about heavy bee loss due to record snow and rain in the Pacific NW. I did not see any loss. People said to keep the entrance clear of dead bees, no need to since there was no loss. After my first inspection, the bees were very high in numbers. So, I put another Beemax brood chamber on top to make a split when queens come in April. April 25th, I did an 8-frame split. I took the chamber off with still too many bees. So, I put 2 honey supers on less than 2 weeks after the split to help reduce pressure in the hive. Wow, supers full of bees with swarm cells in brood chamber. I put the 3rd super on after pulling a few frames to rid the hive of pressure. A quick guess, I would say that the hive brood boxes weigh about 65 lbs. for the first one, and 50 lbs. for the second one. Best guess, so I hope this helps people doing research on Beemax hives. Also, one note...no mold or moisture problems, even in the rainy state of Washington!

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Yes but all this is after you made some sort of temperature humidity self-control unit for the hive, plus a bottom board and entrance reducer?
    Do you think you would have had good results without a temp/hum control device? Is it plugged in for power? Few folks can keep electric cords to their bee hives. I'm just asking from curiosity- interesting post! :)

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

do tell more and pics are always welcome here.