My critter excitement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gypsi, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I guess this current trend started on memorial day, the Monday when I had my grandkids here, walked into the fish room, and discovered my anemone had divided itself into 3 parts. 2 looked good, 1 looked poorly, reef looked like it needed a water change.

Then, my own bees behaving themselves properly, the bee tree hive started getting a bit more feisty. Hence the last few days attempting (and failing) to tame them. Move us to another hive, we'll show you, and went right back to hang out at their sideways tree. They seem to be in the deep swarm trap. It's almost 11:30 pm and I just FINALLY got a soaker hose on the plants I put in the ground during the rain on Thursday. Wearing a suit for the last 6 feet of them. In this heat they needed watered this morning and I may lose my lantanas. Ironically enough, planted for bee fodder.

Then of the 14 pullets (well 1 looks rooish) in my green house, waiting for the big hens to move to a different coop so they can move in, I have 12 tonight. I suspect that either a feral cat got in through an open unscreened window, or the pullets got out, one made it back into the greenhouse to die, the other, my dogs or a hawk or a feral cat made off with. Only one body, 2 missing birds. Finished screening those windows with a drill as my staple gone has gone mia, at 10 pm.

Now the larva from the beetree hive ought to go on that deep swarm trap, but I overcharged the battery on the ryobi drill again, it's 83 out and I don't fancy wearing a suit and moving brood at midnight onto a hot hive that I'll have to open the top of with a drill. Hopefully I got enough bees to stay with the brood that is now on my trailer on the back lot. I saw returning foragers at sunset.

I need sleep. 5 hens alive - oh, I forgot that 5 ft rat snake I killed in the nest box on Wednesday last - the day my truck went down.

12 pullets ok, scared but ok.

3 healthy hives, one with not really enough bees and no queen, and one with an ornery queen a whole mess of bees and no brood.

3 healthy dogs sleeping on my office rug, now that they are done wrestling. 4 healthy cats. Fortunately my african cichlids and tropicals are all healthy.

I keep critters to relax. I do not feel relaxed tonight, but I will sleep like a ROCK. I didn't finish moving bees til 9 pm last night and was up at 6 to move the trap nuc out by the hive on the trailer.

Goodnight all!

Gypsi

(the dogs wouldn't eat the rat snake. I cooked it with the skin on, too hard to peel it....)

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Wow, that's a lot of action going on over there....!

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeah, no doubt. I used to keep tropicals and for a time, salt. Cichlids were my favorite. The salt tank could be labor intensive. I did not have a wet/dry system...just a simple under gravel filter with two jets on towers...I stopped keeping fish in the mid-90's. The coral and such was becoming more and more difficult to get then. How is it now?

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Gypsi,
    With your schedule, gotta give you credit for finding time to write to us on the forum.:thumbsup:
    Thanks,:grin:

5. Gypsi

Thank you Efmesch... I cook once a week so I get to eat. I got out and eliminated some snake habitat this morning. No bees chasing me, so I thought the bee tree hive had settled into the swarm trap. Got brave and weedwhacked (40 ft away from said swarm trap). No bees. Put a box in the shed, went out and admired the split, took a look at my partway finished chicken coop on the lot. And this is what I saw just past it - no wonder the bees weren't chasing me:

beetree_swarm6_10_12.jpg

The question is - do I hive them and give them back some of their brood to keep them there? Or do I let them go and have my neighbors hate me? I probably better go catch them.

Gypsi

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Any swarm you can catch and don't, is a reall loss, especially now since the equipment is right there. If you can find a frame with some open brood to place in the hive, the chances of their staying put this time should be much better.

7. Gypsi

Since the tsunami at the end of 2004, new diseases in saltwater keep springing up. Treatments follow, I don't buy salt fish anymore. Just the anemone for my geriatric clown that had never had one. He died of old age 2 months later, but he was the happiest geriatric clown around. I may buy a percula or 2 locally tank-raised, but that's all I'd buy. When Dory, my regal tang, dies of old age, I'll give away the live rock and stuff. I have a few tube worms, a copper banded brittle star, bright yellow sponge. Simple u/g with 2 powerheads, protein skimmer hangs on tank, 2 additional circulation pumps inside with sponges on them for extra filtration. It's pretty full of live rock.

And I no longer buy freshwater fish commercially. I joined a forum of local hobbyists who are breeding - again, new diseases and parasites, a couple without treatments. I've had enough. I am breeding albino longfin bristlenose plecos, jewel cichlids, golden labidichromis and yellow labidichromis. (and now that I have bored everyone to tears, at least one photo. But only one.. or two... or three...LOL)

anemone_clown_nov7.jpg reef_40gal_5_23_11.gif

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

gypsi,
    enjoyed reading your 'critter excitement' :grin:

9. Gypsi

Some days I wish I had less critter excitement. Today the bees are all good, 2 out of 3 anemones lived (they rarely successfully divided in my aquarium before - so pretty thrilling)

The hot bees seem to like their remote location or be too busy cleaning up the moving mess to stalk me.

and a possum got past all my hard to install screening, squeezed in a corner and killed 6 pullets sometime between 1:30 am (my last check) and 8 am. He left a hair behind. CSI success, I know who done it. Now I'm down to 6 pullets, have them well secured in a possum proof pen, and a trap baited with cat chow on the greenhouse shelf. (along with 2 under my old chevy on his hunting path...)

I'm tired already. It's 1:45 pm.

(Note: i THOUGHT I knew who done it. No possum rips through 6 birds and leaves bodies tossed around. I would talk with the feed store and my uncle before identifying the owner of that coarse hair with half an inch black, half an inch white in center, and half an inch black, all on one hair.)

10. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Very entertaining post.

11. Gypsi

My entertaining pullet killer is a weasel. Had a long talk with my uncle this evening, then researched, and yup, they live in Texas. Now I know who I'm hunting for - and he or she is pretty bloody dangerous to handle.

12. Gypsi

Do weasels eat bees??
    I don't miss rats, mice and voles

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Pop goes the weasel llama_cancan_by_CookiemagiK.gif :hunter:

14. Gypsi

I Knew that was coming, lol.

Seriously, I fixed the pens, examined my adult birds pen situation (which no intruder larger than a small rat or a tiny sparrow has made it into), and noted that my rodent bait stations in the shed and greenhouse may not be solely responsible for the lack of mice, rats and voles.

I usually do not kill (or want to kill) predator species, as they keep so many nuisance critters in check. I still have wiring damage to circuits not online from the last time rats got in the attic 2 years ago. Would be why those circuits aren't up, I have insulation to repair with heavy electrical tape.

So seriously, do weasels do anything to harm bees? I didn't know skunks could be an issue until I got bees.

Gypsi

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bees, smees..................... A weasel will keep coming back until the last chicken is gone. He can go through a hole a golf ball won't go through. Send him to the promise land.

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Please do not. We have enough bee pests here without adding any more.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

18. Marbees

Marbees Member

:lol::lol::thumbsup:

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ef, that was very, very funny :lol:

20. Gypsi

:rolling: