My darned impatience

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Barry Tolson, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

I wish I weren't so darned impatient. Earlier this evening I went with another beekeeper friend to take a swarm..about 12 ft up on the branch of a tree. We set up a ladder and climbed up...held our box under the swarm and gave a good shake. Then brought the box down...installed the frames of drawn comb..put the lid 9/10th's on and waited for the remaining bee's to join them. About a half hour later there was still a baseball size clump of bee's hanging at the swarm spot in the tree. Bee's in the box were fanning like crazy and I got impatient waiting for that group to come down. So...up the ladder I went...figuring that a would give that small group a quick shake...they would fly...and would then quickly join their sisters.
    It was not to be.
    I shook...they flew...one flew straight to my left earlobe to deliver a quick sting...and they went back to their spot. About 20 more minutes and they decided to come on down on their own.
    Next time I will exercise more patience. I know that last clump would have come down on their own and my additional interference did not instill in them a desire to move along more quickly.
    From now on there will be no more shakes after the initial shake....unless I have reason to believe that we didn't get the queen. The remaining bee's will eventually come down.
    Still...it was a nice swarm...had a good time...met some nice people...and got paid for it. Apart from a sting to the earlobe, it was a very good experience!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I carry a bottle of bee-quick for just that purpose. A few squirts along the limb and they take to the air.

3. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

That is a great idea! I happen to have some Bee-Quick, so I'll be taking that with me on the next call.

4. Monie

Monie New Member

Heyyy, that's a fantastic idea!

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That is so funny. I have actually had a bottle of bee-quick in the car with me the whole year but never thought to use it like that... brilliant idea!