my first big test after quit drinking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Jun 14, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

After quitting drinking almost 2 months ago. I have passed one of the biggest test of will power as of yet I spent 4 days in eureka springs arkansas with good friends. While the temptation was there I stayed drink free. Its a good feeling when you can walk away and not drink and you find you can have a good time without it and as a bonus you get up in the morning feeling good. Beeing down here was like visiting the ghost of christmas past. I would set in the balcony and watch the drunks down below and my wife would say that was you last year but you was louder and worse. Man I guess it was a good thing them around me was as mest up as I was or I wouldnt have lived. :D This will be just one test of many and you cant let your guard down. :yahoo: :Dancing:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Keep that guard up and will power strong.
    Sounds like you have a good and loving wife, better stick close to her. :club: :lol:

G3

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I wish you the best. One day ata atime. Right? Some of us have a buddy on beesource who has been through what you are/will go through and he just lost his wife in the last year to cancer. W/ help from his friends and fellow alcoholics he has remained sober and is doing well.

How brave you are to share this w/ us.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Congratulations rr. With only 2 months of sobriety, please be careful about the situations you put yourself in. Alcoholics are good manipulators and you may try to fool yourself into thinking you can handle a drink or two. Do you have a sober buddy to talk to? My husband has been sober for 12 years now. I can tell, even today, that there are times he would like to have a drink, but he uses self control. He has commented several times about how he picked a fine time to quit, just when his sister marries a brew master(and he is very good at what he does.)

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as always the best to you in this endeavor... it's a long tough road.

just casually riverrat what did you think of the folks behavior that were drinking when you watched them from the balcony. not really trying to pry too deep here mind you, but just wondering what you thought at that moment.

6. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

Congrats. :thumbsup: I'm borderline myself so I feel your pain. I don't hang out with drinkers socially anymore and I have to count out how many I'm gonna let myself have ahead of time and set them out on the counter. I quit homebrewing since it's to hard to measure how much you're having. I quit all together for five months just to prove to myself that alcohol wasn't holding me back... As it turns out it's just age but now I know. :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to getting myself out of my current occupation and into something a little healthier so that healthier habits can follow and I'm sure they will.
    I do admire your strength and it sounds like your girl has a backbone of steel as well... Keep her.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Actually setting on the balcony at the basin. I couldnt believe how loud and obnoxious the people were being. The wife said I was the same way but only louder when I took the drinking to the streets. All I can say was at the time I thought I was having fun but look at it from the other side just didnt look to be fun. watching people walk down the streets with a serious look on there face like if I do it this way they will never know ive been drinking. :D

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have 2 close friends that are both recovering alcoholics one has 16 months of sobriety and quit with rehab the other has 10 years he quit the same way I did cold turkey with all the withdrawls. I have leaned on them and my wife heavily the last 2 months and will continue to. The 2 couples we went down with are drinkers but not alcoholics they are true friends. When I told them I was quiting they all said they thought that would be a good idea. While we was in eureka which was where we turned it loose every year in june. They modified there drinking to accomidate me. They didnt drink around the hotel or when i was around. while i didnt go in the bars I did set out on the beer garden patio of a couple. For just a little bit with them and there wifes and visited for a little while as long as there wasnt a crowd. The wife and I would then take off and find something else to do while they did there thing. Both guys have cut there drinking way back since I quit. I tell them it stinks not being able to have that one beer with the mexican food. and once you cross the line of which you cant have just one you can never quit and have just one. Iddee said it to me best you got to work it 24 7 to stay on the wagon but it takes less than 10 minutes to fall off. So you got to be on your toes at all times

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

But it can be done.
    I can do it.
    I can do it.
    I CAN do it.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

yes sir If I had to write that down this weekend everytime I was saying it to myself this weekend I would have filled a book. I can say after arriving thursday night and leaving monday morning. I had had enough and was starting to get stressed. We planned on spending about half the day monday in eureka but instead we took a road trip out of our way to springfield mo. to the bass pro shop. Wife bought me a new skinning knife with the money I didnt spend on drinking. Kind of a little reward from the wife.
    :Dancing:

11. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Rat, My family has a lot of drinkers and I can imagine its hard for you. I never liked the buzz it gave me thankfully. You keep it up man it is worth it! More money and time on your hands for memorable times w/ the missus.
    Next time in Springfield, look up Brooksbee. He's a real nice beek and fun to chat w/.

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I will do that beehunter. I was going to stop in and vist with arkiebee but we lost track of time sunday afternoon and didnt make it.

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

You have shown that you are strong to get this far. That's just proof that you CAN do it! Concentrate on how good you feel now, in the mornings, and that extra energy you have instead of feeling fuzzy. Enjoy life!

14. Charles

Charles New Member

Fight the good fight riverrat. You'll be happier about your life, your relationships, and the extra greenbacks in your pocket :)

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

After 2 months I am already starting to see them things happening. and it sure a good feeling

16. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Great job riverrat, I have a brother that is 16 yrs dry. Keep up the good work. I need to stop by and introduce myself one of these days. I run back and forth. Wichita to Tulsa about every week.

Fuzzy

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Riverrat,
    Good for you.
    As time passes, you begin to realize that life is actually more fun without being drunk. Slowly you start to realize that alcohol is just not the essential part of various activities that you thought it was. You are embarking on a journey of being good to yourself, not one of 'depriving' yourself.
    Don't fall into the trap of thinking after a while that you can return to just having one or two, if only you can have the 'will power'. That's fine for others perhaps, but for your body it is poison and no matter how you start out it will have the same old outcome. One is too many and a thousand is never enough.

Congratulations of your decision. :thumbsup:

Omie
    (22 years now) :wave:

18. riverrat

riverrat New Member

0mie very well put especially one is too many and a thousand is never enough if you dont mind I would like to share that with others on facebook

19. Sundance

Sundance New Member

Congrats riverrat!! Life is renewed. This Oct 8th I will have 25 years in......
    Man..... I can't even get my head around that one.

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

River--you once again reinforced my conviction that the "rat" doesn't belong on your name.
    How about making an official change --maybe to something like "riverboat" and keep yourself afloat and even keeled.
    All the more power to you. Carry on :D