My first cut out

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by gator, May 30, 2010.

1. gator

gator New Member

I got a call today about a swarm in a bush only 10 miles away. I was just pumped to do my first cut out and get a new hive started so I got my stuff ready and went to the sight.
    There was a softball size swarm i a lilac bush about 4 foot off the ground. As i has removing the swarm the man there told me that the swarm was alot bigger but that he had sprayed them earlier. Who is that stupid to spray the bees and then call to have them removed. Pissed me off. My question is what are the chances for the remaining bees to servive.
    Also i was the one that had the post last fall on bees in block wall. The hive that moved into the old bee boxes wintered over and are as strong as ever. Thanks for all your feedback on that.

2. Monie

Monie New Member

Their chances are probably not good. If you're going to keep them, keep them away from your other bees.

Did you explain the importance of bees to him, and that if you take them they could contaminate your other hives?

If you don't charge for sprayed bees, you should. Or at least tell the next person who sprays to finish the job, then walk away.

Good luck to you.

3. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Gator,
    I just posted about a similar incident just before reading your post. I hate it when people do that!!! I, also wondered about what to do under those circumstances. Is there any point in bringing poisoned bee's home? Is there a risk to our other colonies, if we do this? Better to just leave them alone? Should we, perhaps, take such a swarm for a fee and release it a distance away...just to get the people with the swarm out of trouble?
    Maybe some others will have some opinions to share. I chose to turn down my most recent poisoned swarm call just a few hours ago.

4. gator

gator New Member

I just checked on the hive and the bees are looking good and there are no dead bees in the hive. I think the guy sprayed in the morning and i got the call in the afternoon so the contaminated bees were already dead. I had no intention on charging the guy for removing the bees but after this i will charge plenty. The bad news is there is no Queen in the hive so i put a frame of brood from another hive in there and keep my finders crossed. Is this the right thing to do?
    thanks.

5. gator

gator New Member

I just got back from a call back to the location that the guy sprayed the swarm. This time they kept there spray happy neighor away from it. This was a football size swarm and everything went good, hope i got the queen this time.

6. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

If you didn't get the queen, then putting in a frame of brood should do the trick...as long as there is brood of the proper age.